mac compatibility with a QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution 2 27" 2560x1440 Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deadblack, Aug 7, 2013.

1. deadblack macrumors newbie

i have a mac pro 3.2 GHz quad core intel xeon (mid 2010 model) with an ATI Radeon HD 5770/ 1024 MB graphics card and id like to run it with a korean QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution Ⅱ 2 27" 2560x1440 Monitor , they can be purchased very cheap from ebay ect but apparently there is compatibility issues with laptops, macs and possibly even the ATI card in my machine ? I'm not very experienced when it comes to this kind of thing and i wanted to know if there are any potential work arounds of fixs that can be done to make the QNIX monitor work with my quadcore ? if there is anybody here on this forum who has expert understanding of these kind of compatibility issues your insight and advice would be highly appreciated, the QNIX has great user reviews so far and is just over $300 delivered, my next option looks to be an asus "27 that will cost just over $600 so you can see why id like to know what possibilities there are regarding this monitor , anyway many thanks to anybody who can shed some light on this topic ;)

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Can't help with the QNIX but for a few $ more you could get the Monoprice WQHD 27". I believe it uses the same panel as Apple and also have seen it mentioned as being used by several Apple users.

3. deadblack thread starter macrumors newbie

4. deadblack thread starter macrumors newbie

the ACHIEVA Shimian QH2700-IPSMS Lite Edge 27" LED 2560x1440 on ebay apears to be the exact same monitor as the monoprice one you mentioned , allthough its a lot more expensive then the QNIX "27 id still consider buying it, im just a bit worried that it might not be compatible with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card installed in my macpro (5,1) if i have to upgrade graphics card just to run one of theese cheap monitors it kind of removes any potential savings from the purchase :( id love to hear from anybody out there who has had any sucess running cheap hi res korean monitors with the same mac pro setup ? the dell and asus monitors with similar specs (27" 2560x1440) look good but if i can spend half the price on something just as good id rather do that naturaly, once again many thanks to anybody who can offer good advise ect ;)

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If compatibility concern is your main concern instead of buying from Ebay to save a couple of $ why not buy the Monoprice? They have a 30 day return policy.

I don't own the Monoprice (though I have bought lots of products from them and service is excellent) and not advocating it but you seem concerned about taking a risk on a cheeper Ebay monitor and the Monoprice eliminates this.

6. deadblack thread starter macrumors newbie

the mono price do sound promising but i have heard a few people mention that they dont work with more recent versions of osx, just older non updated versions of snow leopard + there is the extra cost of a Display port to Dual link DVI Converter, also im in australia so if i have to pay to return a faulty monitor it will cost quite a bit of cash ect, im starting to think the ASUS PB278Q might be the way to go, i can get it localy for $600 and i will save myself a lot of drama, and seriously i think my next machine is going to be a hackintosh after 15 years of loyalty to mac im starting to feel a bit resentfull towards them, i love the os but not the prices involved lol

7. deadblack thread starter macrumors newbie

i contacted mono price an enquired whether the monitors would work with my mac pro and they responded telling me that they would be incompatible :( there go's that option unfortunately, honestly im starting to think of jumping ship and using a pc :) (seriously il finaly be able to use some apps ive always wanted to use and be able to buy lots of cheap peripherals lol)

8. Julien, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have a Mac Pro with a HD 5770. I had a Dell 30" and now have 2 ViewSonic VP2770's. I never thought twice about any compatibility problems. I believe I can hook almost any monitor (including the Monoprice) to it without any problems at all. Also my HD 5770 has 2 mini Display Ports and 1 DVI-DL port so it should not require Display port to Dual link DVI Converter (I have 1 ViewSonic connected to DVI-DL now).

Read this thread: What monitor are you using?

...and this: Monoprice monitor not Mac compatible?

9. deadblack thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks julien, as far as mono price goes, i gave them the full specs of my machine and thats the response i got from thier technical department, so it hasnt instilled a lot of confidence in purchasing one from them :) lol, i will check out the links you have posted to see if there is a glimmer of hope left hehe, much apreciated mate, thanks for helping me out ;)

10. apjohn2 macrumors newbie

It Works Fine (with the right adapter)

I'm a relatively recent mac user (not personally but for work in IT). I have a 2011 model 27" iMac aluminum hand-me-down. I bought the QNIX QX2710LED monitor for a cheap alternative to other 27" monitors that support 2560x1440 resolution.

When I first got the monitor, I used a simple DVI-MDP adapter to connect to the Mac's Thunderbolt ports. The mac wouldn't boot to the desktop. It would just error before fully booting and then restart, until I unplugged the monitor. As for the QNIX itself, I got nothing on the screen, which is a bit unusual in my experience. The most I could get it to do was to flash solid red then solid green then go completely black. It never had a "No signal" (or even "신호 없음") message or anything. I also couldn't get a PC to recognize it, so thought for sure I had a bad monitor. I RMA'd it and got a replacement, same model, to try again.

The replacement did the exact same thing. Now I'm scratching my head, thinking, no way even a 2nd-rate Korean shop will have two bunk monitors sent to random American guy back to back. Luckily I ordered from Newegg.com and they're top-notch when it comes to returns.

Anyway, I was determined this time. I did some more research and finally found this part: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...dvi-adapter?afid=p219|GOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG-PLA. I gave it a shot and it works great.

So now I'm happily typing this w/ two beautiful 27", 2560x1440 displays in front of me.

Hope this helps someone in making a decision!