.Mac Dynamic IP?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If the iConference app becomes .mac only that would definitely increase the number of people using the system. But it would also cause even more outcry from the Mac commutity. I'd really love to see a video version of iChat using mpeg4, it really would make a difference.

D

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Yey good by no-ip.com now I may buy .mac
Conferenceing is nice but ill probably never use it
hhg.mac.com here i come
(hhg is my current server name)

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
This would also be useful for TCP/IP File Sharing and Remote Control ala Timbuktu. Now I won't have to ask my mom to look up her IP address after she dials into AOL. How useful would this be for broadband users using a router/firewall device assuming they have a dynamic IP?

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>This may be of use for the rumored Video Conferencing application from Apple.

it that is what I think it is....everyone will have their own site hosted in house (off their broad band connection of course)

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
your typical family doesn't know about that, plus they will probably trust apple for this service, over someone though its free (sounds odd now that I type it)

the general population will say "OH cool! I'll sign up for apple's service for that too!"

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by unclepain
This would also be useful for TCP/IP File Sharing and Remote Control ala Timbuktu. Now I won't have to ask my mom to look up her IP address after she dials into AOL. How useful would this be for broadband users using a router/firewall device assuming they have a dynamic IP?
What they would have to do is look at the source address on your ip packet to determine which ip to use. It would be nice if you could have an easier way to poke a hole in you nat box (ie. forward inbound connection requests) to point at your computer. But then if you have more than one computer inside your nat box, only one could provide web services on port 80.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>It would be nice if you could have an easier way to poke a hole in you nat box (ie. forward inbound connection requests) to point at your computer.

my router has had the same dynamic ip address for years....and I have just set my router (via telnet through terminal) to forward all this to my mac on its individual lan ip address...

works fabulously from work or anywhere, I automatically have 100 gb of web space to use (size dependant on how often I clean out the drives from gunk)

balliet

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2001

What they would have to do is look at the source address on your ip packet to determine which ip to use.
That wouldn't work for people with real IP but are behind an HTTP proxy. (Well. assuming they are doing updates over HTTP)

What would be good would be to have 3 options:
1) Use this IP of THIS computer.
2) Use IP the connection is comming from (which would be your router if you use NAT)
3) Custom. You enter your own IP. That way you could run your website on another box and still keep the .mac.com suffix