Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoffeeMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2003
I just switched out my desktop PC for an iMac, and I am not very familar with Mac security issues. I had been using Zone Alarm to prevent applications from phoning home, and a hardware firewall to keep out the incoming stuff.

Is there an OS X program that will control which applications are allowed to hit the internet?

Thanks in advance.

Chrisnorth

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2002
Yukon, Canada
Firewall Built In

OS X has a built in firewall. If you're running Jaguar, click on "System Preferences", then select "Sharing". When the Sharing dialog opens click the middle tab called "Firewall" and you will have access to some basic configuration items.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Re: Firewall Built In

Originally posted by Chrisnorth
OS X has a built in firewall. If you're running Jaguar, click on "System Preferences", then select "Sharing". When the Sharing dialog opens click the middle tab called "Firewall" and you will have access to some basic configuration items.
yeah but I belive he wants a little more in a firewall, while the Jaguar firewire works really well it doesnt alert you when you get a hit etc.

Chrisnorth

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2002
Yukon, Canada
Re: Re: Firewall Built In

Originally posted by medea
yeah but I belive he wants a little more in a firewall, while the Jaguar firewire works really well it doesnt alert you when you get a hit etc.

Good point, and since this topic also interests me, I've done a little research and discovered a couple of posibilities. The first is called "Firewalk X" and can be found at http://www.securemac.com/macosxfirewalk.php . The other is called Brickhouse from http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/brickhouse.html

Does anyone have any experience with these products? Are they any good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.