Mac fails to charge at times and shuts down halfway due to lack of power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathyy, May 21, 2011.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Okay so I've got a pretty bad problem lately. My Mac charger sometimes fails to charge my laptop, so it'll run on battery power a short while before it realizes the computer needs to be charged.

It's never been much of a problem before, because as long as the computer is on, it'll detect it almost instantly.

However recently the charger would just quit charging on me halfway while I'm playing a game. It's happened at least 4 times in the last month. I'd be using it for a few hours, play a few games, then all of a sudden my laptop shuts down due to lack of power. It takes about a few minutes before it's able to detect the charger again before it powers back on, and then I resume playing my games for another hour or two.

Anyone experienced this before? I'm planning to bring it down to the service centre as it's almost out of warranty, but the problem is that it's a bit hard to duplicate this problem.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC. Instructions in the following link under CHARGING. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called Apple up and they guided me to reset the SMC a week ago. I doubt it worked because the problem came back after a week.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They recommended it because that's the way you deal with such issues. There are 3 primary components of your power/charging system: your battery, power adapter and logic board. If nothing is wrong with your battery or power adapter, your logic board may be faulty. Try resetting the SMC again.

5. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually had a motherboard replacement just a month ago actually. My previous motherboard had no such issue for almost 3 years before it died.

Anyway I'll do a reset again, and if it the problem still occurs I'll bring it down to Apple. Thanks. :)