Mac fan running at 6200rpm all the time and movies skipping!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rackalamb, Aug 10, 2009.

1. rackalamb macrumors newbie

No matter what I am doing and where I am, my mac is running at 6200rpm fan speed. I have checked to see if I had a print job left open and I do not. One day, it was running in the high 1000s, and my movies were running perfectly. Now that my computer is always running at 6000+rpm. This problem is quite recent as it has just started doing this overrunning fan speed about 3 months ago. Does anyone know what I should do?

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

1. What kind of Mac do you have? Name, year, CPU, RAM, hard drive, etc.

2. Can you open Activity Monitor, set it to display All Processes in the top right (not just the ones from your user), sort the list by descending CPU usage (by clicking the % CPU header), and take a screenshot so we can see what's eating up the CPU and causing the fan to speed up?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Regardless of the Mac, those fan speeds are ridiculously high. Are you using a fan control app of any kind? How high is the CPU usage? What temp is your Mac running at?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If movies are skipping then it sounds to me like there is a process eating up your CPU cycles, causing the CPU to get hot and the fans to react. I recommend following LTX's advice.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Open disk utility and repair permissions on your hard drive and see if that helps.

6. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

7. rackalamb thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Try resetting the SMC. The fans should not be running at that speed for those temperatures.

9. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

i HOPE those are farenheit temperatures...
    Otherwise that might explain the high fan speed and the bad performance. :p

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Something is wrong with your airport card. It should not be at 155 degrees F. The fans are probably going that high because they are trying to cool down the airport card, which is malfunctioning and will not cool down.

11. rackalamb thread starter macrumors newbie

12. celticpride678

13. rackalamb thread starter macrumors newbie

it has been reset twice and the airport card as well as the fan are still up high. any other fixes?

I have a 2008 Macbook Black 13.3 inch screen 4 GB ram 500 GB internal harddrive 2.2 Ghz processor

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Is your computer still under warranty? If so, I would schedule an appointment at the genius bar. Something is awry with your computer and I don't think it's software-related.

15. rackalamb thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I am way out of warranty but is there any other way to just show up there?

16. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You can make an appointment regardless, but I think it would be best to wait and see if anyone here has any other suggestions before you do so, since you will have to pay. It's unlikely that you'll be seen at an Apple store without an appointment beforehand, at least from my experience overhearing other customers.

17. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

You can schedule an appointment online by going here, choosing your store, and reserving for Genius Bar. I don't think it requires you to be in warranty to schedule it (anyone want to confirm?), and they might take a look at it, but they'll likely charge you for the repair unless it's a known problem (like the white Macbook case cracking that they replace even out of warranty).