Mac Gaming Dead???

PowermacG5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2003
226
1
Grand Rapids, MI
Is anything going on in the mac gaming world besides worlds of warcraft which i cant afford. And dont say doom 3 i bought it and it sucks.
 

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
1,082
0
round the corner
PowermacG5 said:
Is anything going on in the mac gaming world besides worlds of warcraft which i cant afford. And dont say doom 3 i bought it and it sucks.
I think with the Intel announcement the Game developers are taking a time-out to think
 

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
1,136
0
Massachusetts, Connecticut
PowermacG5 said:
Is anything going on in the mac gaming world besides worlds of warcraft which i cant afford. And dont say doom 3 i bought it and it sucks.
Sims2! I know, I know, you don't have guns, but I promise you can have fun without guns.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
kjr39 said:
Was mac gaming ever really alive?
Oh, punch below the belt there kjr39, true, but a little low.

I think the most the developers are probably playing with those dev intel boxes, things will start up soon enough and with x86 hopefully that means Mac gaming will be more alive, not closer to death.

Any new words about StarCraft 2? (oh damn thats funny!) :rolleyes:
 

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
569
0
Ohio
kjr39 said:
Was mac gaming ever really alive?
For about fifteen minutes, when the iMac and Quake 3: Arena were brand new...

Oh, and don't forget 'Marathon'. Bungie rocked the mac for a while.

Mistake #1:

-Not purchasing Bungie


Apple really should've seen the 'gaming revolution' on the horizon and made Bungie a counter-offer to Microsoft's. Which is ironic - because when they showed the trailor off at MacWorld that year - Steve hyped it up, and talked about how they were serious about 'bringing gaming back to the mac'...

Could you imagine if Halo were Mac-exclusive?

Christ, everybody I know would've bought one just for that.
 

benbondu

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
122
0
crachoar said:
Could you imagine if Halo were Mac-exclusive?

Christ, everybody I know would've bought one just for that.
Not necessarily. The xbox had a lot more to offer than just Halo. Once tons of people bought the xbox and played Halo, then its popularity skyrocketed and you started seeing a few people buy xboxs just for Halo. If Halo was on the Mac, it might have been lost with all the other great Mac games that no one else has heard of. Like Marathon, for example.
 

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
197
0
King of Prussia, PA
crachoar said:
Could you imagine if Halo were Mac-exclusive?

Christ, everybody I know would've bought one just for that.
I doubt it. One of the reasons Halo was so popular is because of Microsoft's marketing behind it. If Bungie had not been purchased, my guess is Halo would've had the same fate as Marathon: huge among Mac gamers, unknown among others. JMO.
 

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
1,887
1
It's difficult to say wether Halo would be popular if it was mac-only. I agree, Marathon never became popular to the non-mac commnity...

But times have changed, and so did Apple's marketing.. I believe that if such a thing as a mac-only state-of-the-art game will ever be released, apple would definitely make sure that it would be well-known to those pc users...

Also, in responce to the author of this thread:

I don't believe that mac gaming is nearing its end. It's hard to say that for a thing that has never reached its peak of existence. The fact is, that mac gaming is not so good as it was six months ago, but that happens for the PC also! Not one good title is coming out now...

Finally, I would also like to add that the turn from IBM to Intel may not bring the desired results as far as gaming is concerned... We must wait and see in order to make a conclusion...
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
PowermacG5 said:
Is anything going on in the mac gaming world besides worlds of warcraft which i cant afford. And dont say doom 3 i bought it and it sucks.
http://insidemacgames.com/ has quite a few previews of games coming out soon, it's worth a look. Is Mac gaming dead? I don't think so but I came to OS X from Linux so anything that isn't a FPS is a whole new world to me ;)
 

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
132
0
PowermacG5 said:
Is anything going on in the mac gaming world besides worlds of warcraft which i cant afford. And dont say doom 3 i bought it and it sucks.
Buy a console if you want to play games and use you mac for the net/email/DVDs/video editing etc etc

I bought Spiderman, KOTOR and Halo for the Mac and while they were good, they lacked gamepad support !! You get a much better experience on a console.
 

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
1,065
30
Near a Mac since 1993.
AppleinJapan said:
Buy a console if you want to play games and use you mac for the net/email/DVDs/video editing etc etc

I bought Spiderman, KOTOR and Halo for the Mac and while they were good, they lacked gamepad support !! You get a much better experience on a console.
I went in the other direction. I played heavily on consoles for some 20 years. After trying gaming on my Mac I did not want to touch a console. Not sure what it is, but I love being online or doing something on Illustrator and then in the same screen click on one of my favorite games. Then go back to 'computing'. I've tried to go back to some of the games I really liked and never finished, like Metroid Prime, but I just don't want to be in front of a TV with a controller in my hand. It's very weird. Also A,S,D,W and a mouse can't be beat for FPS (and even some 3rd person games like Splinter Cell).

And while consoles are cheap in comparison, any game at 1600x1200 with all the goodies turned on can't be matched by a console.

But that's just my opinion.

:)
 

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
699
1
AppleinJapan said:
Buy a console if you want to play games and use you mac for the net/email/DVDs/video editing etc etc

I bought Spiderman, KOTOR and Halo for the Mac and while they were good, they lacked gamepad support !! You get a much better experience on a console.
Heh, well Halo shouldn't really be played on a gamepad to begin with. KOTOR too, KOTOR is very very fun with the mouse actually =) Spiderman ive never played.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
neonart said:
I went in the other direction. I played heavily on consoles for some 20 years. After trying gaming on my Mac I did not want to touch a console. Not sure what it is, but I love being online or doing something on Illustrator and then in the same screen click on one of my favorite games. Then go back to 'computing'. I've tried to go back to some of the games I really liked and never finished, like Metroid Prime, but I just don't want to be in front of a TV with a controller in my hand. It's very weird. Also A,S,D,W and a mouse can't be beat for FPS (and even some 3rd person games like Splinter Cell).

And while consoles are cheap in comparison, any game at 1600x1200 with all the goodies turned on can't be matched by a console.

But that's just my opinion.

:)
I feel exactly the same way. I prefer gaming on a computer to a console most any day of the week. Certain games are better on console (Halo for one, but I don't care for Halo that much....wouldn't sell a cookie over it). Rainbox Six (or Raven Shield, or whatever came out on console) sucked on console IMO, one of my favorite games on PC to play online or LAN while at school with 10-20 other people.

I see consoles as a waste considering all they do is play games....darn well, but still only games (and movies...null point). A computer can not only play a game but can also function as a productive tool, a learning tool, creative tool, etc etc.
 

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
137
0
One frustration I have with mac gaming is the lack of a good gaming communication solution. Skype only allows 5 people and Ventrilo and TeamSpeak don't have Mac clients.

To tie this seemingly random complaint to your thread, if you want to play online team based games, you'll have a bit of a disadvantage on a Mac. Not enough to call Mac online team gaming dead, but enough to be frustrating.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
Echinda said:
One frustration I have with mac gaming is the lack of a good gaming communication solution. Skype only allows 5 people and Ventrilo and TeamSpeak don't have Mac clients.

To tie this seemingly random complaint to your thread, if you want to play online team based games, you'll have a bit of a disadvantage on a Mac. Not enough to call Mac online team gaming dead, but enough to be frustrating.
That is what unlimited nights and weekends are for with a decent conference call rate :p

I see your point, quite valid and true. Personally I don't care about that though, I prefer to just use the in-game commands and type....as I type fast enough to get my point across even in heated situations. My friend of the neighborhood and I would play Raven Shield online from the same basement (mini-lan to online game) and just talk to eachother like comms but in real life. It worked a lot better than comms, and we could run around covering eachother quite efficiently :D
 

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
1,065
30
Near a Mac since 1993.
efoto said:
That is what unlimited nights and weekends are for with a decent conference call rate :p

I see your point, quite valid and true. Personally I don't care about that though, I prefer to just use the in-game commands and type....as I type fast enough to get my point across even in heated situations. My friend of the neighborhood and I would play Raven Shield online from the same basement (mini-lan to online game) and just talk to eachother like comms but in real life. It worked a lot better than comms, and we could run around covering eachother quite efficiently :D
Ghost Recon and 5 friends. A friend, my wife, and me in Atlanta, then a friend in Miami, and one in New Jersey. Very cool. Some on the phone some typing, but still a ton of fun.

:p
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
neonart said:
Ghost Recon and 5 friends. A friend, my wife, and me in Atlanta, then a friend in Miami, and one in New Jersey. Very cool. Some on the phone some typing, but still a ton of fun.

:p
Thats the type of stuff I'm talking about, way to be imaginative!
 

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
291
0
personally I think we would have had a better chance with gaming if steve stuck out with ppc
all the consoles are gonna be ppc and it could potentially make the mac look like a really good development platform if anything.
who knows maybe they would port games to mac or start fidding with the idea of a native mac game.
 

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,144
0
Secret Moon base
PowermacG5 said:
Is anything going on in the mac gaming world besides worlds of warcraft which i cant afford. And dont say doom 3 i bought it and it sucks.
I have also been thinking there is a distinct lack of new games lately. Aspyr was really prolific for a while there...
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,925
1
Portland, OR
I think they poured a lot of their efforts into The Sims 2 and SW: Battlefront. I'm pretty certain they will be putting out new offers in the near future.