mac i5 2.53 for photo ,vid editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firedapplestore, Apr 20, 2010.

1. firedapplestore macrumors newbie

hi guys i ordered the new macbook pro 15inch i5 2.53 and am planning on doing photo editing using aperture and vid editing via final cut pro, i am going to school for film sooon, so after ordering I noticed that the i7 was not a significant amount more expensive and regret not ordering that one, unless it is not needed but i want this machine to work well for all types of projects and if i7 is significantly better for my needs i will cancel the order and buy a i7, any help on this matter is appriciated:eek:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The i5 will be perfectly fine with the things you want to do to it.

Final Cut and PS will work just fine, unless you throw 21MP uncompressed photos or RED footage at it.

3. snouter macrumors 6502a

And even then, the i7 is not going to be happy...

4. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ,ya i was just worried it would not be sufficient for photo\video work but i know little about what these computers can handle as i am new to macs,but thank you for your imput

5. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie

6. LSXL macrumors newbie

For photo editing alone I would get high resolution anti-glare man!

7. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie

^ i did:)) ,,ya everything else for editing seems good i just diddnt know if the proccesor was good enuff

8. ATC macrumors 6502a

I'm having a tough time with the CPU decision; i5 2.53 or i7 2.66 (the model with the i7 also has double the VRAM - 256mb to 512mb) for $200CAD more. I know $200 isn't much but it almost pays for Apple Care.

Like the OP, I also mainly work with photos (Aperture) and videos (editing, ripping, encoding, work with Toast a lot, etc...). The i5 is more than fine for all this? Also, would the i5 give more battery life than the i7 or are they the same in this regard (CPU power consumption)?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'll be fine with the i5; in fact, the 2.4GHz i5 should enough.

10. Linkzi macrumors newbie

The i5 17" is a just a few dollars more than the i7 15" HR. I went with the 17" because FCP and Photoshop's working screen is much easier to work on a higher res screen. The i5 17" also has the 512 VRAM and an expresscard slot for estata connections to my stratch disk. I don't use SD cards so it would be useless for me on the 15".

11. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie

all the imput does help ,thanks:D ,, i just figured 200 dollars might be worth it,but if not needed then i would rather not have to cancel my order:p

12. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie

and would the base i5 and the .5 be much different?

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

14. snouter macrumors 6502a

I usually go for the max, but, not this time. I normally would also get an anti-glare screen as well.

I got a base 17" glossy, tossed a 128GB SSD in it, an 8GB ram upgrade comes in the mail tomorrow. To make living with the SSD possible, I got a 1TB FW800 external drive.

So, if you don't get the i7, there are still a lot of other places for the money to go.

BTW, I don't regret the glossy at all. At home it's fine, and I rather like the poppin' colors.

15. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie

16. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie

17. firedapplestore thread starter macrumors newbie