Mac internal hard drive works in the morning, not in the afternoon

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shauntp, Feb 24, 2011.

1. shauntp macrumors newbie

Hey,

So basically, the internal hard drive on my mac has a weird problem. The intenral hard drive works perfectly in the morning after no use for a long period of time. All SMART tests pass, it shows as though theres nothing wrong with it. But as soon as we get a bit later into the day, nothing. Nothing picks it up, at all (we tried Ubuntu, TechTools, and CloneZilla in last ditch efforts to pick things up from it, they all picked it up fine in the morning, but later they saw nothing). This also all began happening after we suspect it overheated.

I was planning on buying a new hard drive for it, then getting it put in there, but before I bought the new hard drive I thought I better double check that does sound like the problem.

Thanks!

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

If you're shutting it down and night and restarting in the morning, it sounds like overheating. But before you just pop a new drive in there, make sure it's not an overall cooling problem. Install istat and check out the temps on your CPU/ GPU / Hard drives, see how hot it's getting.

3. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

My gf has the same complains about my "external" harddrive
    har har har

its probably a hardware issue, prolly the PSU like the above poster said