Mac Mail Question

Maclver

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
36°07′53″N 95°56′14″W
So long story short, I deleted all my emails on the Mac Mail app and of course iCloud was super quick and synced everything as gone. So I went to my Time Machine backup and got all 4,000 messages back in the Mac mail client, but I can't figure out how to sync those emails back to my iPhone. I have done:

- Take all accounts offline then back online (Mac)
- Synchronize "iCloud" (Mac)
- Turned iPhone mail off and back on (iPhone)

Any ideas?

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the mail on iphone is active? you can send/receive from it? and is this a pop or imap account? and check all your options in mail on the phone (ie accounts>your email address>advanced settings)...

Maclver

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
36°07′53″N 95°56′14″W
the mail on iphone is active? you can send/receive from it? and is this a pop or imap account? and check all your options in mail on the phone (ie accounts>your email address>advanced settings)...
everything was in sync and working before I moved the mail folder from time machine to the mail client on the Mac

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
this is just a theory, but... possible that the mail would have to download from the server to the phone, to be restored there. but see what happens when you try rebooting, etc.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
In the few times I've tried to recover lost email from Time Machine, more miss that hit, in that the email is restored for the most part, but all the supporting configuration/index files are mismatched. So, easiest way to get email back is to restore the Time Machine backup alongside the current email folders. Then import the Time Machine copy (can't recall off hand the file extension on it). In Mac Mail will be an entry under Imported: selected those emails and move to real account.

But before doing that, remove the original account and then re-add: sets the account to a stable initial state.

If not all the attachments were downloaded, those will be lost. And have seen inline items sometimes not appear, so, odds are good that won't recover 100% of everything.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I might take some time to upload it all. If you think it is finished and all looks allright on https://www.icloud.com/#mail , then you could try go settings on your iphone->Passwords & Accounts->accounts->Icloud and disable mail. Try start mail and see there is no account. Then go back to settings and enable mail again.

Reactions: fisherking