Mac Mall employee Discount?

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Hey, I was just at macmall.com and they said there is an employee discount on mac products, but you have to select the item (put in shopping cart) to see the price. When i did this it only took like $40 off of a 2Ghz 17" iMac? Whats the deal? $40 off sucks! Thats no discount!

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
Jedi128 said:
Hey, I was just at macmall.com and they said there is an employee discount on mac products, but you have to select the item (put in shopping cart) to see the price. When i did this it only took like $40 off of a 2Ghz 17" iMac? Whats the deal? $40 off sucks! Thats no discount!
These are old news my friend. :cool:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The employee discount was 5% when I bought my iPod (not from MacMall though). Ended up being about $20 off. It sounds like the MacMall discount must be less than 5% to get only $40 off an iMac! :eek:

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Nermal said:
The employee discount was 5% when I bought my iPod (not from MacMall though). Ended up being about $20 off. It sounds like the MacMall discount must be less than 5% to get only $40 off an iMac! :eek:
Isn't this the discount that was *up to* 38% off?

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
tsk said:
Isn't this the discount that was *up to* 38% off?
Yeah. But the key word is "up to." In order to get the 38% off, I'm sure you'd have to buy their top of the line PowerMac G5 with a 30" ACD or something. Not much of a discount for other stuff.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
sw1tcher said:
Yeah. But the key word is "up to." In order to get the 38% off, I'm sure you'd have to buy their top of the line PowerMac G5 with a 30" ACD or something. Not much of a discount for other stuff.
Well, right. That's why I emphasized the "up to" part. That kind of stuff drives me nuts. Pretty much makes me thing the vendor is a bunch of sleazeballs.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
tsk said:
Well, right. That's why I emphasized the "up to" part. That kind of stuff drives me nuts. Pretty much makes me thing the vendor is a bunch of sleazeballs.
Most vendors are sleazeballs. No one, and I mean no one, goes into business to make the world a better place. It's all about money and how much of it you can get. That's the nature of business.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
The first thing you have to realize... is apple probably doesn't give these companies much of a price break to begin with... as in macmall probably does not make much money on hardware items. So they probably can't afford to give their workers a huge discount in the first place. Aside from that, even huge companies like walmart only give employees 10% off so I wouldn't expect much more from anyone else... you might be able to get the full 38% off on some apple software.