Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Whenever Apple talks about the Mac mini--like at the October event in Cupertino--the company always mentions how the Mac mini is a favorite with first-time Mac users. While that may be true, the Mac mini isn't just a computer for newbies. Its combination of affordability, compactness, and performance makes the Mac mini an ideal computer for new and experienced users alike.

mac_mini_display.jpg

Apple offers three models of the Mac mini. When shopping the Apple Store, it helps to understand the differences of all three models in the Mac mini line and how they compare to Apple's other Mac offerings, and to know what you're getting for your money. In this guide, we'll go over the key decisions you'll need to make when shopping for a Mac mini.

Why a Mac mini?

macmini1-250x254.jpg
The main reason why you would consider a Mac mini is its price. The most affordable Mac mini is $499, and there are two other models, priced at $699 and $999. By comparison, Apple's lowest-priced iMac is $1099, the lowest-priced MacBook Air is $899, and the lowest-priced MacBook Pro (non-Retina) is $1099.

Another reason to consider about the Mac mini is its size. Measuring 7.7 by 7.7 by 1.4 inches, the Mac mini's small size allows it to fit in almost anywhere, which can lead to some unique uses besides desktop computing, such as a server or home entertainment component.

However, the small size and the low prices come with compromises in performance and your ability to upgrade the computer in a couple of years.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Mac Mini 2014: Which Model to Buy

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
For someone who needs CPU performance and has multithreaded apps, the best 2014 mac mini to buy is a 2012 mac mini.

antipex

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I think the best answer here is "none of the above." Even if you're only looking for something lower-end for basic uses, the best value right now is to purchase a 2012 model or go with a low-end iMac.

I hope we see a redesigned Mini next year...

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
For someone who needs CPU performance and has multithreaded apps, the best 2014 mac mini to buy is a 2012 mac mini.

Slightly OFF TOPIC: does anyone know if GarageBand makes use of multi-core processors? Just wondering, Google didn't give me an answer.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I think the best answer here is "none of the above." Even if you're only looking for something lower-end for basic uses, the best value right now is to purchase a 2012 model or go with a low-end iMac.

My take is the Mac Mini refresh this year is a "Plan B" board turn release. I bet the real Mac Mini refresh is delayed due to supplier issues.

----------

This was a joke by Apple and not to many people are laughing.

Read above.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Not entire true re the 2014 vs 2012 model.

Don't forget the Intel Iris graphics is far better, which if you're using it as a home entertainment system is going to allow you to play 4k video, which is quite useful for future proofing in that area.

If like me you use it for an entertainment hub running plex and also a home server running OSX server, I think that sorts out the 2014 over the 2012 model just.

It is a dying shame it doesn't have the Iris Pro though.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Slightly OFF TOPIC: does anyone know if GarageBand makes use of multi-core processors? Just wondering, Google didn't give me an answer.

In my experience, GarageBand '08 only uses one or two cores (I forget which) effectively. I don't know about new ones.

mbc2237

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
Not entire true re the 2014 vs 2012 model.

Don't forget the Intel Iris graphics is far better, which if you're using it as a home entertainment system is going to allow you to play 4k video, which is quite useful for future proofing in that area.

If like me you use it for an entertainment hub running plex and also a home server running OSX server, I think that sorts out the 2014 over the 2012 model just.

It is a dying shame it doesn't have the Iris Pro though.

Holy cow. Dannys1 has over $10k invested just in his signature.

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
Apple sells thunderbolt-to-DVI and thunderbolt-to-VGA adapters for $29. The story mentions this, but does not say that third-party adapters can be much cheaper.

I would add that cable-length adapters can be more convenient than dongle-length ones.

Something I don't understand is why thunderbolt-to-VGA adapters (which are hard to find under USD$13) seem to be more expensive than thunderbolt-to-DVI adapters (which can be found under USD$7).

ScottyTheMenace

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2013
Fusion Drive worth it for basic computing?

I don't do video or audio processing or gaming. I mostly use standard office apps, watch movies on Netflix, and use iTunes to feed Apple TV. In this scenario, I'm curious if the Fusion Drive would provide any noticeable benefit.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009

I guess, I'd like to imagine that when 4k content becomes readily enough available (and TV costs more reasonable/current TVs get older) there'll be another Mini update by then. I'd hope so anyway.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
4Gb RAM standard is unacceptable.

I'm about to upgrade my mid 2011 Mini from 4 to 8Gb RAM.
If my computer wasn't upgradable I would be looking at a new craptastic Mini.
Yosemite is memory hog. Over 3.4Gb used with safari open with only one tab.

The new Mini is a slap in the face to Apple's customer base, and there are only so many slaps we will take.
I'm glad my Mini can be upgraded because I will not be buying a hobbled 'new' Mini

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011

What are they going to screw up next time?

PWard6

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
This isn't going to be a popular option, but I picked up one of the new minis. I am an audio engineer and I'm loving the performance so far. I upgraded to an SSD and more memory. It's really running just fine.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I am unfamiliar with the Mac Mini. Never used it, never paid any attention to its specs, etc.

Looking at these specs, I think 4gig of Ram is too low and that alone would not have me buy one.
But as I'm unfamiliar with it, WHY is this one considered to be so bad compared to the one from 2012?

Thanks..

BTW, when is Apple coming out with the newest Macbook Air?
(its not out already is it?)

Trying to decide between a new MB Air or MB Pro and so far the few I have asked have said to go with the AIR yet it has a slower processor than the Pro but i was told that really didn't matter??!!

crazzapple

Oct 19, 2014
The two 2012 Mac mini standard configurations also had a dual-core processor in the low-end models, but a quad-core processor in the high end 2012 Core i7 model. With the new 2014 Mac mini, Apple decided to use dual-core processors in all three models.

Not true... the *mid tier* 2012 was i7 quad-core for $799US. You would have to pay $999 to get an i7 in 2014 and it has half the cores. It is by far a worse value and cannot even be upgraded. The 2012 quad-cores have been in the refurb store on and off the last couple weeks for under $600.

----------

I think you misspelled Mac Pro.

Sure, if you want to spend $3000 vs $800 for the 2012 quad-core.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm really surprised that Apple kept the audio in port on the new Mac Mini, especially considering that the original Mini didn't have one and none of their iMacs now have one. Given that the Mini is an "entry level" machine, I'm glad they kept it though I'm not sure how many consumers still record analog audio into their computers.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011

Like you, I'm using a Mac Mini as the center of my home entertainment system. Not only will the base Mini do everything my 2012 does, it also has 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Thus, for my purposes, the new machine is indeed a slight improvement, and is $100 cheaper than the old version.

Since my current Mini is running fine, I have no reason to buy a new one, but if I did, I would have no complaint with the new version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.