Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viktor121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys,

I just got the 2018 Mac mini and I've paired it with a LG 27UD68P 4K monitor. The interesting thing I noticed is that in the system information its showing as:
LG Ultra HD:

Resolution: 5120x2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 30 Hz

Any ideas why this is? Performance and visuals are terrible to the point where I want to return the Mac mini and get an iMac...

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
Are you connecting using HDMI or Displayport? I would try with another cable.

Your monitor is only running at 30Hz whereas it should be 60Hz.

PS: I have this monitor, it runs at 60Hz fine on the mini.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

viktor121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Are you connecting using HDMI or Displayport? I would try with another cable.

Your monitor is only running at 30Hz whereas it should be 60Hz.

PS: I have this monitor, it runs at 60Hz fine on the mini.
Hey thanks that helped!! Its now at 60 Hz already looks much better, any idea why it would show as 5k resolution though? What does your one show?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Hey thanks that helped!! Its now at 60 Hz already looks much better, any idea why it would show as 5k resolution though? What does your one show?
Have you noticed any lag or anything, with just the 4k monitor connected?

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
upload_2018-11-19_22-40-55.png

Welcome! Very interesting, did not realise that mine too says 5K!

LanTao

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
You're running the display at @1.5x scaling; internally, macOS paints the desktop on a canvas that is twice the size of the "looks like" resolution, since integer math is easier. This is all the proper setting for your display, so don't worry. And yes, it is confusing that the monitor's physical resolution is not displayed here.

Reactions: strawbale

viktor121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
View attachment 805292

Welcome! Very interesting, did not realise that mine too says 5K!

Yes weird right, but the answer above clears things up! What cable are you using since I see you're using display port? And how does it look on your display?? I'm using looks like 2560 x 1440 and everything either looks too blurry or too sharp.. especially compared to Apple's LG Displays or their retina displays.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Yes weird right, but the answer above clears things up! What cable are you using since I see you're using display port? And how does it look on your display?? I'm using looks like 2560 x 1440 and everything either looks too blurry or too sharp.. especially compared to Apple's LG Displays or their retina displays.
Just an idea: Try turning off LCD font smoothing in system preferences > Appearance

viktor121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Just an idea: Try turning off LCD font smoothing in system preferences > Appearance
Hey thanks! Started messing with this but ended up researching more and found a fix! at least for me!

1. Turn on LCD Font Smoothing
2. Open Terminal and type the following command: defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO
3. Restart the system

It seems because Apple has turned off sub pixel rendering in Mojave meaning things just end up looking horrific..

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Hey thanks! Started messing with this but ended up researching more and found a fix! at least for me!

1. Turn on LCD Font Smoothing
2. Open Terminal and type the following command: defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO
3. Restart the system

It seems because Apple has turned off sub pixel rendering in Mojave meaning things just end up looking horrific..
Yeah there is something weird going on. The LG 5K display I tried out in an Apple Store looked awful at every single screen resolution. Whereas a 5K iMac looked fine. But I don't know what smoothing settings the two screens had. Both were running Mojave.

On my non-retina screen, running high Sierra, turning off font smoothing (in system prefs) actually makes things look much nicer. Note: font smoothing is not completely off, the setting actually turns OFF subpixel smoothing. I would have thought this is worse, but actually remaining smoothing is lighter and gives fonts that are thinner/clearer to my eyes.

I'm not sure how this relates to the changes in Mojave though...or if this terminal pref is the same or different to the option in system prefs pane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.