Mac mini 2018 Bluetooth issues?

getrealbro

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
FWIW File Vault was NOT the issue in my case. I have NEVER used File Vault, yet my Apple Bluetooth keyboard would behave strangely and/or disconnect several times a day. Installing the IOGear BT dongle and placing it in an area with direct line of sight (to the keyboard when it was in my lap) has ELIMINATED the keyboard strange behavior and disconnects for several days. BTW I'm running Bluetooth Explorer 24/7 which reports any disconnects.

This is a complex problem. So different people will find different solutions depending on their hardware and usage patterns. I would be astonished if there is ONE solution that works for everyone.

GetRealBro

nicho

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2008
This is a complex problem. So different people will find different solutions depending on their hardware and usage patterns. I would be astonished if there is ONE solution that works for everyone.
First fix i found was disconnecting my hub from the USB-A port. Reenabled unlock with apple watch and made my mouse and kb work flawlessly.

To use filevault, I ended up using one of the unifying receivers that came with my mouse and keyboard (both logitech), as non-apple bluetooth keyboards won't connect to the filevault login screen (not unique to mac mini AFAIK - would also be an issue on imac pros or mac pros, except they come bundled with said keyboards). I just plugged in a new external SSD to the free USB-A port and I was getting read and write speeds of 35MB/s on the blackmagic speed test! On my 2017 MBA i'm getting more than 10x that. There's definitely some interference going on around the USB-A ports, although I'm not sure if my unifying receiver is compounding that or not. Will be ordering a USB-C hub to hang off my final free TB port and call it a day I think - the final USB-A port on my mac mini is pretty much dead to me now :(