Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
With all the discussion around the lack of a GPU in the new Mac Mini I thought it would be helpful to start a discussion for those adding or considering eGPUs. I just decided to try the Blackmagic one available at Apple. It was interesting to see that the current one was almost sold out in the MN stores and one was available. The current online deliver date is now in December. So I ordered one today to pickup so I have something with my thunderbolt 4K display. Figure I can return it and not even open it if the Mac Mini graphics works for me. If not I won’t have to wait for one.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
With all the discussion around the lack of a GPU in the new Mac Mini I thought it would be helpful to start a discussion for those adding or considering eGPUs. I just decided to try the Blackmagic one available at Apple. It was interesting to see that the current one was almost sold out in the MN stores and one was available. The current online deliver date is now in December. So I ordered one today to pickup so I have something with my thunderbolt 4K display. Figure I can return it and not even open it if the Mac Mini graphics works for me. If not I won’t have to wait for one.
Blackmagic is probably the best choice for LG Ultrafine displays.

Keep in mind that once your eGPU does not serve you well anymore, you cannot change the card inside. You have to discard whole eGPU (both enclosure and GPU inside).

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
Blackmagic is probably the best choice for LG Ultrafine displays.

Keep in mind that once your eGPU does not serve you well anymore, you cannot change the card inside. You have to discard whole eGPU (both enclosure and GPU inside).
Yep, I figure at some point there will be another set of new eGPUs but the low end Blackmagic should work for awhile and it works with the Thunderbolt displays and is quiet. The extra ports won’t hurt either.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
Where is the sense of buying a eGPU case with a grafic card you can't change? Wouldn't it be better to use one from OWC or Sonnet?

Reactions: DVD9

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
I have a 4K monitor with the Apple/Blackmagic eGPU but can't get them to work together correctly. The monitor doesn't display when it is connected to the eGPU but does when it is connected to the mac mini

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I like the razor core X. Not only can you replace the video card but you can replace the power supply too. Depending on the card used and the heat it generates will determine noise.

Reactions: lantree
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.