Mac mini as htpc

Majek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Hi, I'm a newbie here. I have a 2019 mac mini and would like to turn it to a htpc, but the problem is I want to install open elect or libreelec directly as the primary os on a USB stick while the internal hd of the mac mini serves as the storage. Pls I would like u guys to shed light on this and hw do I go about not having osx on the machine at all. Thanks

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Hi, I'm a newbie here. I have a 2019 mac mini and would like to turn it to a htpc, but the problem is I want to install open elect or libreelec directly as the primary os on a USB stick while the internal hd of the mac mini serves as the storage. Pls I would like u guys to shed light on this and hw do I go about not having osx on the machine at all. Thanks
The new Macs with the T2 security chip, the last I heard, can not run Linux. The new Mac mini has the T2 chip.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Trying to run an HTPC plus switching to macOS would be a pain. Is this also going to act as a media server? Why not run Linux in a VM? Then you can quickly switch between macOS and Linux desktops.

The new Macs with the T2 security chip, the last I heard, can not run Linux. The new Mac mini has the T2 chip.
As I understand it you can. But you have to disable secure boot.