Mac Mini end of line, discontinue, no market....

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by santosmarco, Jul 11, 2011.

1. santosmarco macrumors newbie

santosmarco

Has someone in this forum considered that Mac Mini probably will not be updated and this is the end of line?
    We are here suffering and dreaming and Apple might decide to shut down the Mac Mini product line. Can someone give me a good reason why Apple should keep the Mac Mini in production? If not I am almost decided to build-up my mini HTCP based on PC/W7

2. simsaladimbamba

They redesigned it last year, they wouldn't do it with an EOL product, which the Mac mini is feared to be every year. Nothing new I guess.

3. Minicube macrumors regular

I also understand it is one of the best sellers on Amazon, for example...

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Agreed, every year since it's introduction people have been killing off the Mac Mini. It still sells reasonably well, probably outsells the MacPro to be honest. We need it to exist as a entry level Mac.

The iMac has a screen I hate (gloss) and the Mac Pro is too expensive and overkill for my needs.

5. Tulpa macrumors regular

Several people have broached that possibility. It may be that Apple sees the iPad as its new entryway into the Mac environment for PC users rendering the mini superfluous.

However, the stock shortages happening now are suspiciously coinciding with the release of Lion, and it's not clear why Apple would want to kill the mini at the same time they release Lion. It seems more likely they just don't want any of the 2011 minis to have Snow Leopard instead of Lion.

So yes, I could see Apple deciding to discontinue the mini, but it doesn't appear that's what's happening.

6. G4er? macrumors 6502a

I may wish and hope and pray for a headless mid range Mac but deep down I know I will have to settle for getting the Mini if I am going to stay Mac. If the Mini goes away there is no way I can spend the money on a Mac Pro.
    Apple may have originally meant the Mini to be the Mac for switchers. But with Apple's love fest for glossy screens on the iMac and the iMac being the only mid range Mac throws me into the switcher category even though I've used Macs for 18 years.
    If the Mini goes away I will be a switcher but not the kind Apple is thinking about.

7. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

Most... Affordable... Mac... Ever..

There's six of them in my small office alone..
    And as a dedicated media server, fugedabouit!

8. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

I mean, it's possible. Anything's possible. But why not just wait a few more days until Lion comes out later this month and see if Apple refreshes the line? What's the use of fretting over something you can't control? Even if they do come out with an updated model you won't be able to purchase it until Lion comes out most likely, so just sit tight, chill out, and make a decision when you get more information.

9. ess5 macrumors member

You do realize you're on an internet forum, don't you?
    That's kinda 70% of what we do here ;)

(the other 30% apparently consists of yelling at people for asking a question without searching first)

10. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Apple would not have redesigned it last year just to kill it off now. Patience. We all know the Macs are on hold until Lion is released. I will agree with you if there is no update by the end of August.

11. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

No need to kill off the Mini - by all accounts it's a very popular option for many due it being the most affordable Mac available.

12. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

The Minis rock! They wont be discontinued. They are as powerful at the 13" pros (or will be once the update happens) and great option for someone who is migrating from a desktop pc.

13. mrrippey, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

mrrippey macrumors regular

I was hoping for an update soon....

...but if one does not come, I will just get a 2010 and use as a media server and give the AppleTV2 to the kids.

-Rippey

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt it is going away. The Mac Mini is Apple's answer to all the bitching for a mid-sized tower, imo. I have one that came out early 2009 and it is still very capable as a HTPC.

15. (Tomato)Source macrumors newbie

On the contrary, rather than being EOLd, the mini will debut new Intel tech in the form of Smart Response Technology.

Apple has been searching for a way to bring performance gains to the mini without adding to the size, or (substantially to the) price either.

Intel is looking to succeed Samsung as a major supplier and have started to cosy up to Apple more (see new MP parts debuting early too), in an effort to develop their relationship.

16. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The Mac Mini is definitely to stay because (1) it is an entry level machine for people with low computing demand, (2) it can be used as an HTPC, and (3) it is a piece of art that Apple is happy to show to the world under the present circumstances that it makes money for Apple. If it cannot make money that Apple wants, Apple will either discontinue it or merge it with another mac, with a new low-end headless desktop being born in either way.

Furthermore, a Mac Mini is so different from a Mac Pro that they represent two extremes of headless desktops from Apple. Therefore, the Apple world will not be round if the Mac Mini is discontinued.

If Apple discontinues the Mac Mini now, it will certainly loose some computer market share. Will Apple do that?

17. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You're kidding, right? It's a MacBook with no screen. It's not as amazing as you think and not very difficult for a multi-billion dollar company to design.

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I'm with you on this one... The "top of the line" mac mini is about as powerful as my old 24" C2D iMac. My old iMac would struggle playing 720p video in VLC.

I know that if i were in the market for a HTPC, I would be looking at either an ATV2 on account of it's ridiculously affordable price, or a Macbook for a bit more than the Mac Mini.

But as long as people keep buying them for whatever reason, good on Apple I guess :confused:

19. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 Mini (HDMI video) acting as the hub of my HTPC. I use it to:

• play my 1080p24 Blu-ray rips (that I don't re-compress in Handbrake) with 5.1 or 7.1 DTS-HD or TrueHD audio in VLC
    • record OTA HDTV from four TV tuners using EyeTV
    • watch recorded HDTV in EyeTV
    • serve music around the house using iTunes
    • watch Hulu
    • look at family photos on the big screen with iPhoto
    • play old cabinet-based arcade games in MAME using my old PS2 controllers
    • and more

And I routinely do 1, 2, & 4 at the same time (though I may get stutters in the video depending on the bit rate). The ATV can't come close to this functionality and a laptop looks just plain ugly in a media centre.

20. philipma1957, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

when the oct 2009 came out it was better then the 13 inch macbook pro.

now it is 21 months later and it has a new look ,a small improvement in the gpu, a lesser power supply ,
    a bigger footprint the same 2.66Ghz cpu. the hdd access is bad the hdd connections are worse. so of course it is out of date.

when a 2009 2.53 Ghz non server model comes up on refurbs it sells in 5 minutes. when a 2010 2.4 Ghz goes refurb it takes 2 or 3 days to sell. I would like the 2009 foot print to come back. it won't.

21. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

I doubt they would kill the mini. It sells well and is quite different from the other computers Apple has to offer. And like many people have mentioned, it's the best home theatre computer, all things considered. And it has been (relatively) recently redesigned. So I think it will stick around for some time. And hopefully it will get some nice updates soon!

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I love my mac mini.
    My plans are to make it my itunes server.
    Rip movies on my pc and transfer them to the mini for use on the ATVs and ipads. Also, serve as a central music server.
    My mini has a wireless keyboard/mouse and ties into the same monitor as my PC. Great device.

23. Tulpa macrumors regular

Assuming you're talking about a 2007 or 2008 iMac, the GPU in the 2010 mini is a huge improvement.

24. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

The mac mini has quite a following.

we have two in our family.

Great media servers.