Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snipecaik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Belfast
Currently using my g4 mini as an alarm clock, however the noise of the fan, even when at idle is really irritating (fussy sleeper), is there any method of controlling the fan speeds to prevent them from spinning quite so fast, without frying my poor g4, as I assume it won't thermal throttle.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I had an app that did this exact thing on my iBook G4, but now I can't find it. At least we know it exists. :D

Seriously, though, considering using an alarm clock as your alarm clock and a computer as your computer. The mini isn't meant to be left on all night, it's meant to be turned on when you use it and sleeping when you're not.

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
Which model is it? I think the 1.42/1.5 version had a bigger fan, which might be a little quieter. Also, if there's something CPU intensive running, (like the flurry screen saver) the fan will be going pretty good even when "idle." You can use Activity Monitor to see what's running.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

snipecaik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Belfast
Which model is it? I think the 1.42/1.5 version had a bigger fan, which might be a little quieter. Also, if there's something CPU intensive running, (like the flurry screen saver) the fan will be going pretty good even when "idle." You can use Activity Monitor to see what's running.
The 1.42GHz version, however I've had a look at the fan and heatsink, and neither are particularly big.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
G4FanControl

May or may not work, depending.

I have NEVER managed to get it to work on any G4 I have ever installed it on. However, I seem to be an anomaly.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
G4FanControl
May or may not work, depending.
I have NEVER managed to get it to work on any G4 I have ever installed it on. However, I seem to be an anomaly.
It's a life-saver for my 12" G4 Powerbook and my ears!
As I've read recently the developer made it freeware now(but I don't regret the 12 bucks I paid for it).
Don't know, if it works on a mini.
I would risk a look inside the mini - the are to collect a lot of dust inside.
Maybe fan-action is related to something like that...

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
You could repaste the heatsink on it, or even replace with a copper one off the web. I am sure you can find a copper heatsink that can be cut to fit. Pretty east to drill the 4 holes where you need them for the 4 nylon bolts that hold it down. This should keep CPU temps low enough to keep the fan at a minimum.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Sadly G4FanControl can't control the Minis fan. And the heatsink is way too small and not copper. I really wonder why they didn't take care of that by the time. My 1.5 model fan starts spinning after approx 4 minutes of usage. Same applies to the eMac by the way. Running the fan at 100% all the time? Why apple, why???
Whereas they did quite an impressive job with the iBook. Can't hear that even with 8 Safari tabs open and Mail, Calendar and Spotify running in the background

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The eMac's fan does not run at 100% when the machine is idle. eMacs' cooling is very well designed and most of the time the fan never goes about 25% of it's maximum speed. While it may get loud, it is not at full speed. Just like the G4 iMacs. You'll know when one of those goes to 100% because it'll sound like a vacuum cleaner.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
The eMac's fan does not run at 100% when the machine is idle. eMacs' cooling is very well designed and most of the time the fan never goes about 25% of it's maximum speed. While it may get loud, it is not at full speed. Just like the G4 iMacs. You'll know when one of those goes to 100% because it'll sound like a vacuum cleaner.
Mine always run at 100% :/ i compared the 1 and 1.25 with one unregulated and one using the zalman fan mate - zalman at full power was same like the unregulated. Then I used a modified cable and plugged the yellow one in my windows tower to read the rpm signal on both eMacs and they were (nearly) the same - unregulated and zalman at 100. Maybe the 1.42 is able of controlling tha fan, but the 1 and 1.25 are clearly not

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It may sound like it is, but trust me it isn't. Once you put the full 12v into one of those fans you'll know what the full 100% sounds like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.