Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elie76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Norway
Hi,

I'm in the process of updating my setup. I currently have an outdated hackintosh (that I mostly used booting into Linux these days) and a 12in 2015 MacBook.

I use my Mac for the following:
- coding: mainly JavaScript using vs studio code
- photography: raw development using either lightroom and darktable,
- light usage: web + Spotify + iTunes
- gaming: only 2D point and click (like book of unwritten tale or runaway) or light 3D like bastion.

In addition I would like to start doing some video editing with final cut X.

My hackintosh will be recycled as a media center at some point and I will give the 12in to my wife as it is too slow for my needs.

I'm currently struggling to decide between the 3 following config:
- Mac mini 2018 i5, 16 GB, 1Tb SSD,
- MBP 13inch 2018, i5, 16 GB, 1Tb SSD,
- MBP 15inch 2018, 2.2ghz i7, 16 GB, 1Tb SSD, 555x GPU

Regardless of the configuration, I will attached my QHD 27in Dell monitor. I will also have to invest into a thunderbolt dock if I choose a MacBook. If it is a macbook, when at home I will use it in closed lid mode.

Regardless of the configuration, what I'm really afraid of is the fan noise, which I really cannot stand. I can accept for few seconds when for example stitching a panorama in lightroom or encoding a video in handbrake but not when doing light coding in vs code for example.

I am also a bit afraid of a weak GPU, and I could consider an eGPU if I choose a macmini or the 13in MBP. For the 15in, I would not buy an eGPU as it will become too pricey overall.

As I have a dedicated monitor which I really like (mate finish is great and 100% of adobe RGB), I am not interested in a imac.

Portability is a plus as I have sometimes the need to work outside home, but since it is not frequent, the 13in has no significant advantage over the 15in in that regard for my use. And I do have a 11in iPad pro when I really need portability and coding is not involved.

Considering the above, which configuration would you recommend? They all have plusses and minuses, and to some extent they all share some drawbacks (dependency over external drives or dongles) but I really want to simplify my setup, hence moving away from my hackintosh which has always been troublesome to some extent for me (given my config).

Any advice to help me deciding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: clarified which i7 for the 15in MBP

Last edited:

nagual

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
The sweetest setup would be MBP 2018 2.6 GHz with Vega 20 512GB SSD plus CalDigit TS3 Plus dock (~$350) ... but that MBP price is out of this world.

Elie76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Norway
The sweetest setup would be MBP 2018 2.6 GHz with Vega 20 512GB SSD plus CalDigit TS3 Plus dock (~$350) ... but that MBP price is out of this world.
Thanks for your answer.
The Vega 20 is indeed too pricey. The Vega 16 could be ok price wise but I don't think I want to go for i7 2.6 as I'm afraid it will make the MacBook noisier/warmer than the base 2.2ghz i7.

Edit: I have now clarified which i7 for the 15in MBP in my initial post.

nagual

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
The thing is you cannot choose any Vega with a base model ... and if they put Vega configuration with with higher CPUs it should work well enough

Elie76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Norway
The thing is you cannot choose any Vega with a base model ... and if they put Vega configuration with with higher CPUs it should work well enough
Thanks for your answer. I know for the Vega not being available for the base model. That is what I meant for not wanting the 2.6 i7. Maybe I should have been more clear

Regarding if the Vega + i7 works fine, I am not convinced as Apple put an i9 and it works but so far I also read it overheat even after the patch. Last thing I want is a pc constantly ramping the fan because of too much power / insufficient cooling.

Elie76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Norway
For info,I bought the MacBook Pro 15 base model (i7 2.2 GHz + GPU 555x + 1tb SSD) plus an eGPU (mantiz Venus + Radeon 580). I will receive them next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.