Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
I want to know if good idea to use a mac mini for iOS and mac programming with 1TB Fusion Drive and with 8 gb of ram?

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
Would 16gb be better for photoshop and my programming i know you can't upgrade it?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Is the 5400 rpm hard rive slow for you?

My personal opinion (not the person you asked but I'll provide it), a 5400 RPM drive has no place as an OS drive anymore. I was using a 2010 MBP with a 5400 RPM drive at work and it was AWFUL, my 2012 Mini came with a 5400 RPM spinner and it was a LITTLE better but there's just no comparison between that and an SSD. Now, having a spinning drive as a scratch disk or temporary holding location for stuff may not be too bad of an idea (that's what the spinner in my Mini is used for).

If I had to choose between getting an SSD or getting another 8 GB of RAM, I'd probably choose the SSD.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Is the 5400 rpm hard rive slow for you?
I find if manageable. Considered putting in a SSD many times. Considering the risk of breaking something, the trim issue which now seems solved though, the relatively expensive SSD I have not put in one yet. Sure you need more time to boot. But I code on it, multitask, listen to music, make screencasts etc. When you are about to buy a device the fusion seems nice though.

Reactions: Celerondon

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Is the fusion drive faster then the ssd.

Nope.

Because they are both SSD based these two storage systems have similar performance. However, in spite of the fact that the difference is barely perceptible, the SSD is faster. :apple:

The advantage that a Fusion Drive has over an SSD is cost per gigabyte. Unless SSD prices decrease dramatically the magnitude of this $ advantage will remain comparable to the speed advantage that SSDs and FDs hold over HDDs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.