Mac mini JUST to manage photos and videos!?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sith, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Sith macrumors newbie

I currently have an iPhone 4 and the new iPad. I also have an old PC and an old laptop - both of which cannot properly play videos from the iPhone or iPad via iTunes. The PC or laptop cannot play videos either from the new Panasonic HD camcorder I have.

I know I need a new desktop or laptop, but I NEVER get on my PC or laptop for anything. I do all web surfing, emailing from the iPad or iPhone and do not play PC games at all. The only time I get on the PC or laptop is if I have to do flash (maybe once a year) or turbotax (once a year) or when I transfer videos or pictures from the iPhone to the PC.

Is there anything I can buy to manage my photos and videos that is cheaper than a Mac mini?

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Personally just for that, I think it's a little much. Maybe if you got one from the Apple Refurb Store, you can save some bucks there. Now ever think about using the Mini to store you music too from you iPhone? Or hook it up to a TV to play movies? Might as well us the Mini for other things.

3. Sith thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anything I can do or buy to simply manage and store photos, videos, music?

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I don't know what kind of router you have, but if you have one with an extra ethernet port, you can get an external drive with all your media on it(I recommend a WD live external) and share it over your network.

That would end up costing much less than a Mac Mini and you wouldn't have to deal with having the accessories either. After that, it's just making sure the drive is recognized on your network and transferring your media to it.

5. Sith thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Verizon router with FIOS. What kind of external HD do I need?