Mac mini raffle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I'm raffling off a brand new Mac mini, you can see more about it here.

I think it's a great concept and a good cheap way to get a new Mac.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I think online raffles are sort of shady unless you have tons of real stats and i'm kind of certain ebay doesn't allow them but i don't know

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
amacgenius said:
I'm raffling off a brand new Mac mini, you can see more about it here or here

I think it's a great concept and a good cheap way to get a new Mac.
Doesn't eBay expressly prohibit raffles?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

That's certainly the way I interpret this policy.

As for doing a raffle on your own site, more power to you. Pretty tempting prize for a 1-in-150 shot at only $5 a pop... but are for-profit raffles legal where you live? I know they aren't in a lot of places (it's considered unregulated gaming (gambling))

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Well, more power to you if you get a lot of buyers, but I think your payout is even worse than Keno tickets. If 150 tickets aren't sold, you're only going to give out half the total sales...at least give out 2/3 thirds or something, which is the approximate payout on the Mac Mini.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
joecool85 said:
Has anyone bought any tickets yet? I might buy some if I'm not the only one.
Considering that most of my friends and people who read my blog (where the contest is being held) are asleep by this time (myself included) nobody has really seen it yet, so your answer is no, but once again it's 1AM so nobody has really seen it yet.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
lol, hadn't noticed it was just done today! Sorry. Could you keep us posted on how many people buy tickets? It'd be neat if you could. Oh well, maybe I will just buy one anyway. Think I'll decide in the morning though. Cool idea btw.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
joecool85 said:
lol, hadn't noticed it was just done today! Sorry. Could you keep us posted on how many people buy tickets? It'd be neat if you could. Oh well, maybe I will just buy one anyway. Think I'll decide in the morning though. Cool idea btw.
Thanks alot, glad you like the idea, once people start buying tickets a new page will go up on the site on who bought how many tickets, etc.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
scarlco said:
That's what I did. I actually bought 2. I never win anything, but I definately can't if I don't play, right?
You got the first two tickets :D, you can track how many tickets have been sold and what numbers at the following page:

link

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i wouldn't touch this with a 30 foot pole, unless it was some charity do, if you want a mac mini save up and buy one dont take part in such a gullible money makeing scheme such as this.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I have 100% positive feedback on eBay under digitialnirvana and you can ask people who I've bought from and sold to here on MR.

If that's not enough you can trust my word if you so choose.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
whoopty do it's still only a 75% return which you probably wont make.

Status
Not open for further replies.