Mac Mini: The Emperor's New Computer

mhrob

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2004
the guy says:

"To see how much industry support the Mac platform has these days, I did a google to see if there were Mac versions of any of my favorite applications; unfortunately I ended up disappointed every time.* There are very few first-person shooters for OSX.* There is no Mac version of WeatherBug to check the temperature anywhere in the world.* Nor is there a Mac version of helpful web and email enhancers like Hotbar. Or any equivalent of the DealHelper software I use to keep track of my passwords.* My Office 2003 CD would not install, despite claims I had heard from Mac fanboys that OS X is compatible with Office.* Heck, the Internet Explorer icon isn’t even out on the taskbar by default, it’s buried in the c:\applications folder."

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
This is the best line:

"When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time.*"

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I hope this is a joke...I was about to send this e-mail to him.

<<<I believe I have a correction for your article: 'Mac Mini: The Emperor's New Computer'

as you typed:
"It turns out the Mini uses a weird kind of display connector on the back that requires a special adapter if you want to plug it into a PC monitor"

The 'weird' connection is a DVI port, Digital Visual Interface (if I'm not mistaken), it's standard on most modern Macs and PCs along with new LCD and HDTV LCD displays. You can find third part DVI to VGA adapters on the online marketplace, Apple isn't the only company making them. I didn't know if you were joking by saying it was weird or if you didn't know what it was, but I felt like I should just bring this to your attention.>>>

Heh, this better be a joke because I can find so many things wrong with that article...Macs don't need virus or spyware software and defraging can hurt a Mac sometimes! :eek: Sorry I had to say it, this guy is either a real moron or a idiotic prankster.

:rolleyes:

montex

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle, WA
Isn't a joke supposed to have a punch line? This is not a funny article, unless it is "funny" that a DeVry graduate with an MSCE is getting everything about the Mini wrong. Yeah, that's real fricken funny. Who is he making fun of, the Mini or himself?

swmooretiger

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2003
weight?

what? i think he got confused with the ipod shuffle, he ACTUALLY thought the mac mini was the size of trident? well, here's hoping it's ajoke....

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
azdude said:
This is the best line:

"When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time.*"

Now that is priceless.

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
I have to say that I don't really see the humor in this "humor" piece. The bit at the end is funny, but everything up until that point doesn't register as, well, funny.

I can just see the average PC user nodding in agreement the whole way.

Humor is a tough thing, generally best left in the hands of professionals. There's a great Frank Lloyd Wright quote about keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. "Let's start with typewriters," he said.

This guy's keyboard, IMHO, should be next. ;)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I fell off my chair when I read this article. I thought he was serious at first but when the whole mac mini the size of a pack of gum thing came up, I had my doubt.

Priceless article!

nightelf

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Lol too late. I already sent him an email, next time I will read the comments first.

Thanks god I was polite :).

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
LMAO, full tower for grandma.

There's your proof guys >> he's a comedian. I'm pretty sure that Devry part is bogus lol.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Yeah, I was about to write some comments too, but I read the comments to see what others had said. Good thing too!

Fishes,
narco.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
iBook said:
I have to say that I don't really see the humor in this "humor" piece. The bit at the end is funny, but everything up until that point doesn't register as, well, funny.

I can just see the average PC user nodding in agreement the whole way.
That's why it's funny... ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
munkle said:
That's why it's funny... ;)
That and the DeVry graduate with the MSCE would probably think the same thing, and probably be in a position of power within many corporations.

They'd probably have better luck getting Macs approved at many corporation, if the decision was tossed to somebody struggling to earn a GED :(

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
dejo said:
I didn't know they offered degrees in comedy at DeVry. ;)
They do starter courses in dry humor, and not many people get it. I like the bit that some pro Apple guys are posting emails to him, and the other comment from a poster, "I can see PC users noddding in agreement".

It's obviously getting a reaction. :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
kerb said:
how could you, seriously, not tell that it was a joke article?

it was marvellous!
I'm constantly surprised at how many people on this site struggle to pick up on extreme sarcasm...it must be due to the relatively high american population we have here at MR! ;) :p

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
munkle said:
I'm constantly surprised at how many people on this site struggle to pick up on extreme sarcasm...it must be due to the relatively high american population we have here at MR! ;) :p

SO SO SO FUNNY he will get his own show on Channel 4 next lol

muire

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2004
Totally in the same boat as Kerb on this one. How can some people not see the humour in this?...

Personally I find it annoying, but if someone doesn’t depend on emailing their coworkers vbscripts like I do, they might be able to get by with it.
I literally pissed myself. Literally. C'mon people, smarten up...and better yet, lighten up! :D