Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MateusJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Good night.

First, I apologize for my English.

I have a mac mini (2011 model). Two days ago there was a power outage and the mac shut down. After turning it on, it failed to recognize my TV connected through the Thunderbolt port (with a adapter THUNDERBOLT -> HDMI).

When I disconnect and connect the adapter into the thunderbolt output, the screen flashes (as if he had recognized the second monitor). However, the monitor does not work.

Some Details:

1) In the monitor settings, only the main, connected by HDMI is detected;
2) On the "System Information" screen, the "Thunderbolt" item appears to state “no device connected";
3) I've done the reset PRAM / SMC.

Can anyone help me? Does my thunderbolt output fried :confused:?

Thank you,
Mateus.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you get any response from the TV, if you connect from the mini's HDMI port to the TV (just as a test)

Be sure to also try a different TB to HDMI adapter.

Also, double-check the SMC reset, as that should be a full shutdown, then disconnect ALL connectors from the mini, including the power cord. Wait at least 15 seconds, then power back on.

MateusJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Do you get any response from the TV, if you connect from the mini's HDMI port to the TV (just as a test)

Be sure to also try a different TB to HDMI adapter.

Also, double-check the SMC reset, as that should be a full shutdown, then disconnect ALL connectors from the mini, including the power cord. Wait at least 15 seconds, then power back on.

Hi DeltaMac,
Thanks for your reply.

My TV shows two types of message:
When the cable are completely disconnected, appears "Check the cable signal".
When the cable is connected to the thunderbolt port, appears "Without signal. Check the devices connected or the cable connections".

I tried 2 adapters:
My adapter: Doesn't work at all.
Friend: Works only when booting. When the system is fully loaded, the screen goes black.

I will try a new SMC reset just for precaution.

Thank you,
Mateus.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If the port really is bad (a hardware failure), then I wouldn't expect it to work at all, even with a different adapter.
You said it appears to work until your Mac completes booting.

Be sure to try a different user - create a new user on your Mac just to test.
After creating the new user account, log out of your present user, then log in to the new account.
Does your port work now?

If you still do get video on the TV, but just briefly - try booting to your hardware test (Restart, while holding Command + D)
You will boot to the built-in diagnostics, so run both the standard and extended tests.
If you don't get any error codes, then reinstall OS X.
(Restart while holding Command+R, and choose Reinstall OS X from the list)
That will reload your system, and may replace a corrupted driver that can cause your issue.

If you DO get an error code from the test, then post that code here, and someone may give you a better answer, too.

MateusJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
If the port really is bad (a hardware failure), then I wouldn't expect it to work at all, even with a different adapter.
You said it appears to work until your Mac completes booting.

Be sure to try a different user - create a new user on your Mac just to test.
After creating the new user account, log out of your present user, then log in to the new account.
Does your port work now?

If you still do get video on the TV, but just briefly - try booting to your hardware test (Restart, while holding Command + D)
You will boot to the built-in diagnostics, so run both the standard and extended tests.
If you don't get any error codes, then reinstall OS X.
(Restart while holding Command+R, and choose Reinstall OS X from the list)
That will reload your system, and may replace a corrupted driver that can cause your issue.

If you DO get an error code from the test, then post that code here, and someone may give you a better answer, too.

DeltaMac,

I already formatted my mac. And the "error" persists.

So, I finished just now the two tests that you indicated (hardware test). And, for my surprise, both return 0 erros ("No erros are found", or something like that).

I'm thinking that I just have bad lucky and a bizarre error. Because everything is OK, just the thunderbolt port have this issue.

I have no idea what I need to do/test now :(.

Thank you for your time trying to help me.

Mateus.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does the HDMI port on your TV work (have you tried another device, such as a DVD player that can connect to the same HDMI port?)
Does your TV have more than one HDMI port, and have you tried them?

Finally, have you tried another Mac, or another computer with either Thunderbolt, or HDMI to make sure that your TV still works with a video signal from another computer?

If you still are sure that the mini's Thunderbolt port is bad, then you are almost done.
Take your mini to an Apple service shop/Apple genius
They will test, and give you a repair estimate, and you can then decide if the cost for replacing the logic board is economical.

MateusJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Does the HDMI port on your TV work (have you tried another device, such as a DVD player that can connect to the same HDMI port?)
Does your TV have more than one HDMI port, and have you tried them?

Finally, have you tried another Mac, or another computer with either Thunderbolt, or HDMI to make sure that your TV still works with a video signal from another computer?

If you still are sure that the mini's Thunderbolt port is bad, then you are almost done.
Take your mini to an Apple service shop/Apple genius
They will test, and give you a repair estimate, and you can then decide if the cost for replacing the logic board is economical.

Yes, my TV has 3 HDMI ports. I tried in all three.
I tried plug my monitor on thunderbolt adapter and the same "error" ocurred.

I tried plug my TV on HDMI port. Worked. I think the TV is OK.

Only the thunderbolt port have this problem.

I've been thinking. If Apple made some adjustments on firmware to accept only original accessories? All my 3 adapters are generics. Only the more expensive shows something when booting. The other 2 doesn't shows nothing.

This make some sense?

I'll try go to some Apple Assistance and try with a original adapter. Maybe solve this. If not, I will see how much will cost me to repair.

I use this port only to watch movies (netflix, youtube) on my TV. I can do this with a Media Server app and my PS3.

Thanks for your help!

nightcleaner

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
Dorset ,England
DeltaMac,

I already formatted my mac. And the "error" persists.

So, I finished just now the two tests that you indicated (hardware test). And, for my surprise, both return 0 erros ("No erros are found", or something like that).

I'm thinking that I just have bad lucky and a bizarre error. Because everything is OK, just the thunderbolt port have this issue.

I have no idea what I need to do/test now :(.

Thank you for your time trying to help me.

Mateus.

I have the same exact same problem. if its any consultation my Imac 2011. To throw petrol on the fire. Over the top sure, But i have five different HDMI adapters, none work, one did for a very short time this is what worries me That its a port failure. But in the sytem info it says thunderbolt port Well i assume it means working.

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: iMac
UID: 0x0001000A18978360
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 22.1
Domain UUID: 597F8A5E-613E-2551-BE2C-1F5591C3187C
Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2
Receptacle: 1
Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I have the same exact same problem. if its any consultation my Imac 2011. To throw petrol on the fire. Over the top sure, But i have five different HDMI adapters, none work, one did for a very short time this is what worries me That its a port failure. But in the sytem info it says thunderbolt port Well i assume it means working.

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: iMac
UID: 0x0001000A18978360
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 22.1
Domain UUID: 597F8A5E-613E-2551-BE2C-1F5591C3187C
Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2
Receptacle: 1
Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3

I think you would get more responses starting a new thread vs. attaching to a 5-year old thread.

The HDMI adapters you have are almost certainly all Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapters, not Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters. The Thunderbolt port you have also can output a DisplayPort signal so it's possible that the Thunderbolt portion is working correctly but the DisplayPort portion isn't. If you have a monitor with a resolution greater than 1920x1200, you need an active adapter. I have an Amazon Basics Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (non-active) that works fine with 1920x1080 but when I use it with my 2560x1440 monitor, there is no output on the monitor. If possible, you should also try a monitor with a DisplayPort port and try it with your iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.