MAC MINI - to buy or not to buy TODAY?? that is the question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Itv, Jun 15, 2011.

  1. Itv macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    #1
    Hi, I hear A LOT of people saying don't buy mac mini now but realistically if it will not be released within 2 weeks to one month I might just buy it today.
    I basically will use my mac mini to watch tv on a new set i got yesterday.
    HDMI to HDMI.
    I am not an expert on these issues but with what I understand the anticipated mac mini will potentially include T-bolt, more ram etc'. Is it worth the wait for my use?.. or can I just go ahead get it now and release my kids from the agonizing anticipation looking at a new blank (and black) tv monitor? (we are not gaming, no cable, may have digital antena hooked to tv. thats all) appreciate your advise!
     
  2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
  3. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #3
    Perhaps he intends on using it in rare occasions on basic computing needs.

    Also, to the OP, wait until MacBook Airs are announced.
     
  4. imahawki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    #4
    Also ATV is much more limited on what you can watch (Netflix, iTunes and couple other sources). I mini can watch TV from ANYTHING on the internet, plus you can get a cable tuner and watch analog/basic cable and/or OTA TV, including HD, AND record it. Can't do any of that with an ATV.
     
  5. Itv thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    #5
    as mentioned above, I would like to have access to anything on the net. I am a big consumer of BBC and UK tv so need access to this content.
    If anyone knows how to set ATV to connect to open VPN or have a separate IP address I would love to know about it. I looked at the option of jailbreak ATV but still, it want do your ip change when you need access to UK or USA sites (I live in Canada). Any thoughts?
     
  6. RichardBeer macrumors regular

    RichardBeer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    Location:
    England
    #6
    Although the Mac Mini in it's present state will suit your needs, I would hold off personally until a refresh if not for the fact that the Intel Core 2 Duo is a very dated CPU range now, spec wise you are not really getting value for money.

    But if value is less of a priority than your intended use and you do not wish to wait then there is no draw back to ordering now.
     
  7. Huge125 macrumors member

    Huge125

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2011
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #7
    I have a Mac Mini and love it. I use it as my primary computer, and since it's small I can easily bring it from the office to the living room to hook up to the flat screen. Even though it's the cheapest entry level Mac computer as RichardBeer points out the "value" is questionable especially comparing it to other similar spec'd non-Mac computers. Keep in mind what's in the box, no keyboard or mouse, so add another $150 if you want wireless Apple devices.

    As far as waiting for the new Mini to be released I'm not sure what advantages you would gain by either a faster processor or the addition of thunderbolt. Streaming video is already flawless with the current Core 2 Duo and the hdmi out delivers 1080p resolution.

    The kicker may be to see what iOS5 has in store for ATV2. Also, if Apps are ever allowed on the unit (Apple TV) then you would have a very affordable option that would probably have most of the major networks. Another option would be an iPad2 and Airplay to ATV. Of course you'll have to wait for the update so you can do the iPad mirroring...
     

Share This Page