Mac of All Trades selling Mac Pro Woodcrest Xeon for $1599

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Archmagination, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" Processors
    8.0GB RAM (2x4.0GB)
    1.0TB Hard Drive 7200rpm
    DVD-RW/CD-RW SuperDrive-DL
    7300 GT video card (256MB)
    2- DVI ports (DVI to VGA video adapter NOT included)
    5- USB ports
    4- Firewire ports
    Ethernet port

I am starting to consider buying it, but I do have two concerns.
    1)How well does this computer stack up to the new I5/I7 Imacs?
    2)What is the best video card for this Mac Pro.. is it a 4870?
    3)I would also need to buy a monitor for it and I is the Dell Ultrasharp 2410 a good monitor for it?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That is hardly a spectacular price for an original MP -- it's about market w/ the RAM.

As far as performance you can't compare with the current i5/i7. Either of those will blow the original MP to shreds. It's two chip generations apart. Also keep in mind Woodcrest isn't a true 64 bit. You need to bump up a year to Harpertown for that.

This is my current desktop. I've had it since '06 and it's still decent, but it's not a barn burner by today's standards. I'll probably sell it when the new MPs are announced (I'm on a 4 year upgrade cycle).

As for video, I don't believe the 4870 is compatible with the original MP. Very few of the new cards are. If you buy this machine & you get a new card be sure to confirm it's compatible w/ an original MP.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

i think people who have spent more then one hour in this forum oughta know by now, apples 4870 works in all macs and the PC 4870 1GB or 4890 can be easily flashed to work. also the 285GTX can be run with a helper card and injectors ;)