Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac Office 2004 Shipping in May

ssnmx

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
Monterrey, MX
who cares? this is old news...
another slow day, heh? :rolleyes:

(Don't flame me with: "Office is VERY important." I know it is, but I just don't care...)

Comment

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Just in time......

Did you read that Bill slipped to #2 on the worldwide richest dude list?

We must unite and get him back to number 1!

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Arcady said:
WooHoo, Clippy 2004 in OpenGL with RSAA smoothing!!! :eek:
Clippy, no matter whether rendered in OpenGL 3D or not, is still annoying. Down with Clippy! (As you can probably tell, I have no interest in purchasing Office:mac 2004.)

Comment

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Does this mean we're getting new PowerMacs?!?!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Comment

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Well, I'm more than a little excited about it. I noticed at the online Apple Store, they are preselling it. There is also a Student and Teachers Edition for a whole lot cheaper that the standard edition. I know the Pro edition has the Virtual PC software with it, but the others I'm not sure about. Anyone know if there is a difference between them...as far as features go???

Or.....does anyone really care??? :D

Comment

ssnmx

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
Monterrey, MX
brogers said:
Well, I'm more than a little excited about it. I noticed at the online Apple Store, they are preselling it. There is also a Student and Teachers Edition for a whole lot cheaper that the standard edition. I know the Pro edition has the Virtual PC software with it, but the others I'm not sure about. Anyone know if there is a difference between them...as far as features go???

Office 2004 - Student and Teacher edition: $149.95

Office v.X - Student and teacher edition: $149.95

You think that's cheap??
I got Office v.X for a whooping $7 at my university... :rolleyes:

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
brogers said:

There may not be any difference. As far as I know, the Student and Teacher Edition of Office:mac X is the same as the Standard Edition, only cheaper. The Professional Edition includes Virtual PC; that's the only difference from the Standard Edition. I would expect this trend to continue with Office:mac 2004.

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ssnmx said:

You think that's cheap??
I'd have to imagine some sort of technology grant allows your university to sell Office:mac v.X for $7. I can't get any computer software nearly that cheap at my community college.

Comment

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
wrldwzrd89 said:
I'd have to imagine some sort of technology grant allows your university to sell Office:mac v.X for $7. I can't get any computer software nearly that cheap at my community college.

I think the college works out something, my school does not unfortunately... A buddy can get any Microsoft product for $5 a CD at his school. Guess who is buying me Office 2004... :p

For those of you who say screw Office and Microsoft. Well I would like to say no thanks to the product and MS but with school, work, etc. it would make life very diffifult not to have Office on my Mac. I tried other alternatives but it just did not work out. I just wish Microsoft would bring out Visio for the mac..

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
If you buy a copy of OFFICE v.X now, you get an upgrade to OFFICE 2004 for free so I was looking at the older (current) v.X Professional Upgrade. The system requirements include "Current version of Microsoft Office v. X" - what they heck is the upgrade to v.X Pro for?? Just VPC 6.1??

Comment

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
ssnmx said:

You think that's cheap??

Notice I said cheaper than the the standard edition or the pro edition. Compared to $7, no $149 is not cheap. That is not a deal that we all get to take advantage of. However, overall even $399 is cheap if you consider what you are getting. As untastful as it may be, this is the standard for documents, presentations and spreadsheeting. I deal with businesses all the country and I have never had someone tell me they are sending me an Apple Works document that I might have to translate. I wish they would. I wish everyone would, but they don't. So in the big scheme of things, it ain't bad.

On the other had, my wife is a teacher and they use Apple Works for most everything.

Comment

ssnmx

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
Monterrey, MX
3-22 said:
I think the college works out something, my school does not unfortunately... A buddy can get any Microsoft product for $5 a CD at his school. Guess who is buying me Office 2004... :p

For those of you who say screw Office and Microsoft. Well I would like to say no thanks to the product and MS but with school, work, etc. it would make life very diffifult not to have Office on my Mac. I tried other alternatives but it just did not work out. I just wish Microsoft would bring out Visio for the mac..

Office for Windows is $5 and Office for Mac $7...
damn people, always trying to rip Mac users off! :D :p

Comment

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Yes

frinky23 said:
Is it even worth upgrading to?
Absolutely. Support for long file name, unicode and presentation assistant makes it very worthwhile. Oh yes, there's also now compatibility with Word on the PC side with respect to "edit tracking". About time!

Comment

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
Comment

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
iSync Intregration

Thats all I'm concerned about. If this doesn't allow Entourage to inegrate with iSync, I'm going to be very dissapointed.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.