Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
In an old thread titled something like "does anybody actually like the new mac os desktop?" i created a quick list of features/bug fixes i wanted to see in mac os x.

i have been keeping a list of these and have added to them and edited them over the last few weeks.

with all the speculation on mac os 10.2 lately i thought now might be a good time to unveil the ambitiouslemon bugfix/feature list version .2.

i tried to give credit where credit is due, but let me know if i screwed anything up:

from krishba there should be a filter field in the toolbar of a window. so i can go to customize toolbar and put a filter field there. when one types in the field the items displayed in the window are dynamically filtered according to what is being typed (like in iTunes). arn tells us one can do this in the terminal so perhaps it will not be so difficult to implement in aqua.

When a folder window is minimized to the dock you should be able to drag files to the minimized window and thereby drop files into that folder.

one should be able to save windows in the dock just as one saves links, apps, folders and drives. so that one can always open a particular folder just by clicking on the dock.

there should be an option to include drives, removable media (cds dvds), and servers on the dock. so with this option enabled i could insert a cd and have it appear in the dock much like a launched application would. this makes it much easier to access that cd or dvd when my desktop is cluttered with various windows.

windows should not open behind the dock. this should function just as the menubar does. it prohibits windows from passing behind it.

organization in dock in which apps, docs, windows, folders, and drives are kept separate and the user can choose the order in which these are arranged. a dock customization feature implemented just how the toolbar customization is set up could make this very user friendly.

from dantec - a cursor shadow. everything else in osx has drop shadows why not the cursor?

preference panel in which one can specify applications that auto hide the dock. so if i usually have the dock visible i could launch adobe photoshop (which i had chosen in my preference panel as an app to autohide the dock) the dock hides and responds just as it would if i had chosen to have it hidden. but when i quit or move to another app the dock comes back and responds just as if it would without the autohide feature.

(this one from mrtrumbe) windows and documents in the doc should have some sort of stamp indicating the application they are operating in. (mouse over only gives name not application). i think this could function in a way similiar to mail.app and adium's notifications. where a small graphical stamp is place over the window or file of choice.

finder (mac smiley) dock icon should provide notification of finder tasks such as copying files etc. notification should be along same model as previous item

apple should encourage software developers to create dynamic icons that provide vital information visually, much like the notifications of mail.app and adium. behaivior such as bouncing can annoy many users so visual cues are better. Visual cues like those provided by adium should be encouraged. adium is the perfect model of how all dock icons (apps, windows, finder icon) should behaive.

option to toggle the default folder behavior in the dock. by default now a single click opens a window and a click-hold or control-click opens a contextual menu. there should be an option to flip this behavior where the default could be a single click opens the contextual menu and a click-hold or control click opens a window.

a replacement for windowshade function. minimizing is a good tool but it is something entirely different from windowshade. either windowshade function exactly or something new that gets a window out of the way but keeps it on the desktop. those videos of the mini windows in 10.2 might pull this off, i think i will need to play with it for awhile before decided, but im leaning towards no since it seems like far too much work to get the same result a double click windowshade.

tabbed window browsing as in mozilla, adium, limewire, system preferences, and apple's website. this is a great way to have the function of multiple windows and the simplicity of a single window. this could be seen also as an evolution of the tabbed windows in os9. spring loaded folders and this could work by dragging an item to the tab of another folder and thus flipping to the other tab, or by actually moving through folder icons.

all icons on the dock should have the option of being removed, including the finder icon... its just staring at me, smiling and mocking me! "i am here forever, you cant move me!!!" it seems to say in its ghastly stare. but all joking aside, some people do not need/want the finder icon on their dock.

windows should remember their file size, and icon arrangement even after a restart. this seems simple. but whenever i open my applications folder it is not the size i left it. perhaps a "save window position" like in omniweb could be used to save a certain window position and size.

when navigating windows with the "always open folders in a new window" preference turned off the new window should open in its saved state, not in the state of the window that was previously open. in other words it should function much like opening a folding while holding down the option key, but retain the history in the back button. this seems to be what apple is getting at with the "keep window's view the same when opening other folders in the window" option, but it seems whether this is checked it or not the function decribed in that option is always used.

all windows should by default be set to global (this is what global means). one can then change all of one's windows by adjusting the global options. if one wants things different in a particular window then one uses the "this window only" option. third parties should provide power users with the option for multiple "global" settings, ie multiple sets of default window states. i would love to have one for my classic drive and one for my x drive. also the option for cascading window states as in the third party utility from os9 "window monkey" where the settings for one window automatically applied to all those enclosed (obviously this would need to be an option not set by default).

the green button should function properly even if i have snap to grid or keep arranged by checked. is it so much to ask that the green button work properly? when the "keep arranged by.." option is chosen and one trys to use the green button the right side of the window crops the window too close thereby forcing the windows aloong the edge to move to th next row. when the "snap to grid" option is chosen the green button resizes so that there is too much room at the top of a window. when none of these is checked then things crop properly to the right and bottom but it does not crop the left or top of a window. this seems like a very serious bug and i cant believe we are in version 10.1.3 and still have not fixed this. this is the number one reason osx feels like betaware.

springloaded folders

the ticks in the icon resizing preferences in the finder and in the dock should have a tick and list the corresponding pixels.

a contextual menu option to size icons individually independent of the size of the other icons in the window/desktop.

classic windows should be just as aware of the dock and menubar as aqua windows.

an option for a visual cue of the classic state and an easy way to start it up or shut it down. if not in the dock then in the menubar like the battery, monitor, sound,and ppoe status icons. its annoying having to be always opening preferences to see if os9 is running and to shut it down if it is. a small black and white icon in the menubar next to my battery icon would be very nice.

option to remove recent items from apple menu.

alias's placed in the dock should not display an alias arrow while in the dock. dock icons should be considered a whole separate entity, you have window icons and dynamic dock icons, so dropping a alias in the dock should display its dynamic icon not its window icon with the alias arrow. custom dynamic icons should be created using the method used by adium.

windows with a large number of files/apps should open in a reasonable amount of time. another of my big reasons for starting up in classic, sometimes i need to open folders with large numbers.

scrolling in windows needs to be accelerated (perhaps using some sort fo caching)

an option to "drop" a folder window onto the desktop. what do i mean by this? suppose on my desktop i have two word documents and a stuffit document. i then have a window open with various video clips that i will be working on for awhile. i should be able to (through a contectual menu or key command) automatically make the contents of the window appear on the desktop. i then work with these files off my desktop for a day, and then press the same keycommand or contextual menu option, and the items from that window are removed from the desktop and appear again as a window on my desktop. the items are originally on the desktop stay there while the ones from the window move back to the window. applications while saving or opening can save to desktop and will appear on the desktop or save to the folder being displayed on the desktop and also appear on the desktop (but these will be picked up when one picks the folder up while items saved to the desktop will remain on the desktop). this provides the functionality of taking a stack of papers out of ones desk or filing cabinet and spreading the files out on your desk as you use it.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
and if you actually read all of that then i congratulate and thank you. :)

please add your own comments and i will continue building my list (maybe i will add my edits to the original list up there).

peace

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Sweet list.

Even though I don't want some of the things in the list, the *option* to have all of these things would be great.

The one thing I think OS X is missing is the ability to customize it.

[chant with me now...]
More options.
More options.
More options.
More options.

Matthew

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: Sweet list.

Originally posted by mrtrumbe
The one thing I think OS X is missing is the ability to customize it.

I TOTALLY agree. Clearly the capability is there; just look at the mind-boggling options available in Adium.

My number one complaint: (disclaimer: I have a hunch that this has more to do with the software developers than with the OS, but I don't know, maybe Carbon could be improved...)

OK :) My number one complaint:
When I've set the scroll bar behavior to "scroll to here" it only seems to work in Cocoa apps. I would kill for it to work in Word, especially because I'm often working with 200+ page documents. Having to go through the thought process "Oh, right, I'm in Word, better go grab the scroll bar and slide it around" is annoying and wasteful.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
An option...

...to specify the icon of minimized windows, so that instead of looking like a little tiny window, minimized IE windows had a special icon, minimized word documents had another, etc...
I really like the dock, but for people with 20 or 30 windows open it must be next to impossible to tell them apart. Also, it would be cool if there was another divider on the dock (like the one that seperates folders/windows from apps) for open applications so that when you opened an app it would move there and to see which apps you had open you would just glance at which ones are past the divider (this would be an option, of course). OSX has plenty of customization, just none of it has a way of getting to it. Tinkertool just taps into features with no activation control, so OSX should have everything tinkertool can do built in.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Not that I've used OSX but I don't think it supports multiple workspaces like most Linux window managers.

Windows doesn't support this feature either. BeOS did used to have multiple 'desktops'/workspaces and it really is useful, especially when each desktop can be a different resolution
(useful for detailed image editing).

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by pc_convert?
Not that I've used OSX but I don't think it supports multiple workspaces like most Linux window managers.

Windows doesn't support this feature either. BeOS did used to have multiple 'desktops'/workspaces and it really is useful, especially when each desktop can be a different resolution
(useful for detailed image editing).

You can run XWindows and one of the windows managers (KDE, GNOME) in OS X.
No, it's not built in, but I don't think the demand is that high. Mac newbies (former PC users) have a hard enough time with the whole Finder and "closing window doesn't close application" ideas. Multiple desktops would equal cranial overload.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Rower_CPU said,
Multiple desktops would equal cranial overload.
It's not that confusing, anyway the default could be 1 desktop with the option to add more as you wish.

I really didn't see the point of multiple desktops when I first tried Linux but now I can't see how I managed without them.

Also if OSX were to include multiple desktops it would be the only comercial OS to do so (I might be wrong). Multiple desktops isn't some gimmick for the sake of 1-up-manship it really is useful when you get the idea, and could probably be implemented very easily.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
well the list go to long so no more edits: but here are the new edits and items:

NEW:
from cleo- when the "scroll to here" option is checked all applications should exhibit this behavior — cocoa AND carbon applications.

the hidden apple preferences unlocked by tinkertool should be incorporated into the system preferences.

from sockdoggy- a preference panel for speaker settings.

from pcconvert- multiple desktops option

from mischief- itunes visualizer as desktop background (trippy yo). it would be nice to have a full screen visualizer while still getting your work done. obviously this would only work while iTunes is running.

EDIT:
organization in dock in which apps, docs, windows, folders, and drives are kept separate and the user can choose the order in which these are arranged. a dock customization feature implemented just how the toolbar customization is set up could make this very user friendly. also (cat_fishman) this customization feature should give the user the option to place dividers (such as the one currently separating the applcations from folder/drives/windows/trash. Also flexible spaces should also be an option.

i was also thinking a poll with multiple choices where people could vote on the items they felt they liked the most/felt they would use would be cool. obviously there are too many items for a macrumors poll but if anyone knows how to set up such a poll on my website it would be greatly appreciated.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Re: I want motion desktops.

Originally posted by mischief
I wanna run my iTunes visualizer as a Desktop picture! (Happy faces)

I would like to see that as well, but I think that to copy a visual image would require an option from iTunes, which is currently not available. As for OS X 10.2 I am most waiting for spring-loaded folders.

Just don't go around telling people that you can see the music. - MacAddict

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Bingo.

I was just using the visualizer as an example. I think there's no reason to exclude motion files from the options. It'd be cool to have my screen savers as backgrounds too.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Mischeif, You mean motion video as a screensaver like so?

http://loops.pardeike.net/

I like the washing machine.

The list starting this thread is rather ambitious, but what I would like most is spring loaded folders, perhaps, as is being worked on, and being able to sort by kind in column view.

Although the dynamic search field bit ala iTunes is nice, I don't think we want to see the other files 'disappear' as in an iTunes search (maybe another view style of finder browser in the window toolbar tho....) . In Classic, typing would sort of bring you to the file in the list, I suppose this is lost in list view in X, I haven't noticed. I'm fairly sure it is not in Column view, where I would like it the most.

I'd also like to be able to print the contents of any finder window, including the iDisk-- I'm still not sure what all apple has placed in the software folder of peoples iDisk.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Wry Cooter
The list starting this thread is rather ambitious

i am the ambitiouslemon.

actually i would say most of the items in the list are bug fixes. and therefore i wouldnt say its ambitious to expect no glaring gui bugs. but some of the other items are very ambitious. mostly i see osx as a huge blank slate. it has incredible potencial that is not being realized, and i wanted to get people thinking about new features (not just recyled os9 features).

o and wrycooter, i checked and the filtering style from os9 where we type and are carried to the item matching what we are typing works in icons, list, and column in osx. i used to use this a lot in os9 but dont seem to in osx and was surprised when you mentioned it. made me realize i hadnty been using it, i didnt even know if it was there r not. i had to check. im not even sure why im not using it anymore, pretty odd.

and cleo, i would if i could, but all the people at apple i know work on future hardware design and dont have any connection with the software people, so i really dont have anyone to give the list to. im planning on posting it on my website as soon as i can figure out how to make a poll where people can vote for the features i mention that they would like. but so far no one seems to be able to help with that.

sorry here is the last edit to the list:

NEW:
from wrycooter- ability to print the contents of any window, including an iDisk

EDIT:
from krishba there should be a filter field in the toolbar of a window. so i can go to customize toolbar and choose to have a filter field in my window's toolbar. when one types in the filter field the items displayed in the window are dynamically filtered according to what is being typed (like in iTunes). arn tells us one can do this in the terminal so perhaps it will not be so difficult to implement in aqua.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
uh. whats with the kishba? stuff? you suggested that in another thread. ill removed your name and be happy to take credit for it if you like.

oh you had just put "krishba" and my real name is kishba

sorry for confusing you, althought i was confused at first...hehe

:)

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
I just want stickies that support dual monitors

I just want my stickies to "stick" to my second monitor instead of jumping back to the first one every time the stickies application is restarted.

Okay... and seeing that damned rainbow cursor less often would be nice.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Oh Yeah...

And Apple needs to make filesharing much better!

The PC network filesharing still sucks and it needs to be top-notch for Macs to achieve respect from the IT guys who make a lot of determinations about whether or not someone can use a Mac.

Personally, I want Apple to fix all the stuff that's broken underneath before they go and add more "fuzzy" features. I agree that attention to detail is what mostly separates the Mac OS from windows, but it's hard to appreciate the little things when you still have *big* issues to deal with.

First and foremost, Macs should "just work". Plug it in and go.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

o and wrycooter, i checked and the filtering style from os9 where we type and are carried to the item matching what we are typing works in icons, list, and column in osx. i used to use this a lot in os9 but dont seem to in osx and was surprised when you mentioned it. made me realize i hadnty been using it, i didnt even know if it was there r not. i had to check. im not even sure why im not using it anymore, pretty odd.

Ugg, forgot what I was going to say... so I'll think of something new.

Do you have "view options in Column view in the finder"on that list?

I want to Sort by Kind in the column view, get the folders all in the same space on the window. Probably better to go to list view and open two windows however.

And if you have it in your list, and I didn't see it, well its because I must not like to scroll, which is why I want that feature in the finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.