Mac OS 9 Support until June?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2002.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Macintouch reports on user information that OS 9 support will be maintained until June 2003:

2. sfoalex macrumors 6502

As if Quark would be ready by June 2003

I don't see what difference this makes to anyone. Quark will not be ready in 6 months anyway. They are famous for saying 6 months and then releasing in 18 to 24 months. So if this is true, it only delays Apple intentions of going all primary OS X for 6 months. What will Quark do then? Ask for another 6 months? In my opinion, it would be easier to work with Quark and make sure you can ensure quality running Quark's applications in the classic mode on these new systems. How many new Macs are going to be sold in the next 6 months specifically for the use of Quark? It can't be that huge of a number...

3. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Seems to me...

This is more important to Apple than to Quark. Shops that NEED Quark running in 9 will not buy any new machines if they don't boot. That's bad for Apple.

Skip the ID2 praises, this isn't about Adobe. Apple needs the publishing industries' financial support which is still overwhelmingly Quark bound.

Apple would just appear to respect their customers if they did a flip-flop, something they admittedly haven't done lately (respect or flip-flop that is).

I hope it's true. - j

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Screw Quark. I can't stand their product. It is a nightmare to support. I would not be sad if they went out of business. I used to love Pagemaker. Framemaker is an excellent product. Quark is ancient history, so is OS 9.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If true ...

It would mean that people would only be getting minor revision/speed bumped machines through June 03.

And that the earliest people can expect all new motherboards on machines is next summer.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

From what I understand, we're a long way from significant speed boosts regardless of the outcome of what I had believed to be purely a heavy-handed marketing decision on Apple's part.

7. QuiteSure macrumors 6502

QuiteSure

Hmmmm...

The transition to an all OSX box is important for Apple, but it may not be ready yet. No real harm pushing that off for 6 more months from the viewpoint of long term planning.

Probably no big speed boosts until the end of next year, if all the talk about the IBM 970 chips is true. If this delay gives Apple one more sales cycle with overclocked G4s, that may not be a bad thing.

When can I finally shed my "newbie" moniker? I've been using Macs since 1988!:mad:

8. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I find it difficult to believe that Apple would delay products and services because of one company that makes one piece of software.

I call bullspit on this one.

9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I don't believe that it is a marketing decison at all. For every new piece of hardware some development work must be done on OS 9 to make it all work. drivers need to be written, the system software might need patches. I think that the development cycle for Apple on software is amazing now that all of the programmers are working hard on OS X. Bury OS 9, it is starting to smell.

10. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I dont buy that for a moment! Apple is not going to go back on what it said!

11. GPTurismo macrumors 6502

Yay! Lets keep holding on tight to that legacy hardware and very legacy program :D

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I agree, but unfortunately, Quark's holding the biggest shovel.

I think you're underestimating the market-share of Apple that the Quark-bound publishing industry represents.

13. johnsteed macrumors newbie

It's as good an excuse as Apple can find for not being ready with their new motherboards.

14. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

It would be sad if Apple had to delay the OS X only launch for one software manufacturer. Does Quark have the user base to say we'll stop supporting Mac if you don't postpone the OS X move? That would be funny and sad if they had that kind of power. They've had long enough to develop for OS X. Adobe and Macromedia have moved their main products over, why can't Quark.

15. InstantCool macrumors newbie

Stinkin' Quark is screwing up our Macs. I want OS 9 to go away! Dang it.

16. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

i think this is a load of crap, i'm more likely to believe end of 'classic' in June 2003 then end of 'OS 9' in June 2003. no way is apple delaying for one company, quark or no quark, imagine the costs of apples part on supporting two platforms.

17. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Mr Jobs:

Seeing as how Apple's hardware changes so rarely, I think this will be a non-issue until the "G5" shows up. I'm sure that delaying the death of OS9 for 6 months is not a big deal to Apple, probably will be few major hardware changes in those 6 months anyway. The biggest thing I can see happening is the arrival of a new video card for top-end towers.

InstantCool:

I am very amused that now-adays a good Mac-lover must hate OS9 and insult it at every turn, and likewise for the G4. My my, how quickly rabid defense of these cornerstones of Mac-ness evaporates once a real alternative starts to show. People don't seem to remember the day when every good Mac lover was expected to argue that the G4 was a supercomputer and that OS9 has no drawbacks whatsoever.

18. ultrafiel macrumors member

What a bunch of crap!

Oh I can imagine it, Steve Jobs will get up at MWSF and say:

"Oh we made a mistake about OS 9's funeral last summer. It wasn't dead, it was mostly dead. Since we love Quark more than my own black turtlenecks, we are going to prolong OS 9 for the rest of eternity. Now I will step down and hand over Apple to your new CEO and President of Quark ..... Also we have now merged with Disney and Microsoft; Motorola will also supply our processor chips for the end of this world, because who doesn't want a computer that runs as fast as your phone? Thank you. Oh and by the way, we're filing for bankrupcy. Free iPods for everyone!"

Or if I recall Steve Jobs also made quite direct remarks about how Adobe hadn't ported Photoshop to X last January. Hmmmm... If Adobe doesn't get favored, why would Quark considering all of Adobe's products? Sure Quark may be the king of publishing, but I'm sure there are a lot more copies of Photoshop out there. And who cares if the new computers don't boot in 9, users still have plenty to choose from that will do so.

19. gopher macrumors 65816

I hope this is true unless Apple can successfully convince everyone that the Classic environment is 100% Mac OS 9 hardware compatible. As it is the official word from Apple hasn't changed, and we only have third hand reports through Macintouch saying it is true. We shall soon see if Apple updates their press release:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/sep/10macosx.html

Until that's updated, we should assume the third hand report is untrue.

20. hobie macrumors member

Fine, those Quark crapheads are too lazy to program and Apple has to stick with!
    I'd say finish off OS 9 off in Jan and shoot Quark to Jupiter or whatever :D
    They don't deserve any more patience, or are 3 or what years of OS X not enough?!

21. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I just don't see this happening. Quark had more than enough time to build an OS X version.. OS X has been out for how long now???? 3 years if you count the beta....

Did quark think apple was gonna change its mind and trash OS X...
    Quark has never been a forward thinking company and never will be, i say leave them behind. Its not like there are no other alternatives that are OS X native (indesign). And quark does work quite well in classic.

The Quark user base gets smaller ever month as more people switch to OS X and are exposed to indesign.... I made the switch and i hope more people will..

22. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Re: What a bunch of crap!

The Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead!
    [A man puts a body on the cart.]
    Large Man with Dead Body: Here's one.
    The Dead Collector: That'll be ninepence.
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead!
    The Dead Collector: What?
    Large Man with Dead Body: Nothing. There's your ninepence.
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead!
    The Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
    Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not!
    The Dead Collector: He isn't.
    Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm getting better!
    Large Man with Dead Body: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
    The Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I don't want to go on the cart!
    Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, don't be such a baby.
    The Dead Collector: I can't take him.
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel fine!
    Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, do me a favor.
    The Dead Collector: I can't!
    Large Man with Dead Body: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
    The Dead Collector: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
    Large Man with Dead Body: Well, when's your next round?
    The Dead Collector: Thursday.
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I think I'll go for a walk!
    Large Man with Dead Body: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do?
    The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel happy! I feel happy!
    [The Dead Collector glances up and down the street furtively, then silences the Body with his a whack of his club.]
    Large Man with Dead Body: Ah, thank you very much.
    The Dead Collector: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
    Large Man with Dead Body: Right.

23. Choppaface macrumors 65816

yay! OS9 on new hardware...now I might actually buy a new machine :D

24. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Another point i'd like to add.

wasn't apple giving away a free copy of indesign with a power mac purchase....

Now that doesnt sound to me like a company that is waiting for quark......;) :D

25. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Never count the beta..

10.0 was barely useable.

10.1 had lots of problems (the Apple discussion boards were rolling during those days)

10.2 is a good, solid starting point for an OS.

I'm waiting to buy my next mac until the hardware can handle the OS's overhead. The top end dualies still aren't cutting it. If you say they are, then you're more tolerant than I am (and have lower expectations)..

Quark should have had something out by now, but their programmer works nights as a waiter at TGI Fridays & is struggling for time.