Mac OS X 10.2 Builds...

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
RailHeadDesign posted a small blurb with their Thurs, March 7th news about continued builds of Mac OS X 10.2

Yet another build of OS X 10.2 was sent out this week, and this one (from what I’m hearing) is already rock-solid stable. There are several minor changes — things that could be fixed in 10.1.x releases — included in these more recent builds, too.

The CUPS technology is reportedly not yet implemented in these recent builds. Few other details available...

pixelpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Got Scanners Support? Anyone ? Anyone?

:( Ya Great Vue scan it works but How Long does it take to rewrite the Twain software? Photoshop 7 ? Whats going on here? Please bring spring loaded folders back in OS 10.2. Watsin blows sherlock to shame. Tinker tools is cool to and should be offered in the OS upgrade also.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Any word on whether they're going to charge for an upgrade to 10.2 or whether they're going to make it available via Software Update? They can't keep giving out free updates, but i don't think many people will pay to go to 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 etc.etc

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
charging for upgrades

If they are going to charge, its got to be a real upgrade - speed increase, new apps included, (like Tinker Tool and FruitMenu etc.), much more user defined interface etc.

Right now, it seems that they are still getting 10.1 right.
And, IMHO, it still has a little way to go......

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Well, I'll pay for 10.2 just to be up to date, and I'm sure most people will, too. But if they don't have a boatload of new stuff in 10.2, then 10.3 sales will probably go down, and people will find *ehhem* alternate methods to get it.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
think sectret told us a few months back that apple postponed the release of 10.2 becaus ethey felt people werent ready to pay for it again so soon after they paid for 10.1. So apple held on to it and continued to develop it.

id really like to see more speed. the fact that osx is still jumpy and slow in a dual ghz machine is ridiculous. if all machines ship with it installed as default then it should run on all machines. as of now it runs like carp on all machines. seems like the main reason most people want a g5 released is just so we have something to run osx smoothly. i almost bought a g4imac(800) for $1600 but after doing a line up test of it versus a dual ghz machine and saw that both still had major speed issues i decided to save my money until either a faster machine is out or apple has fixed osx.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i thought of something that i believe 10.2 should have...

in itunes you can start typing letters in the search box and it keeps updating the listing of possible matches

i wish finder windows could do that... automatically show/hide files that match the letters i'm searching for

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by kishba
i thought of something that i believe 10.2 should have...

in itunes you can start typing letters in the search box and it keeps updating the listing of possible matches

i wish finder windows could do that... automatically show/hide files that match the letters i'm searching for
In Terminal you can do this...

in the directory you want type

ls | grep "pattern"

and it will list those files that contain "pattern"... :)

arn

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by arn

ls | grep "pattern"

spiffy

so in reality apple could implement this really easily?? that's VERY cool.... that would kick windows in the pants big time

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Apple really does need to prep this OS... I mean if M$ stops making Windoze in about a years time we might have tons of users pouring into our community.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I agree, apple should put tinkertools and all that stuff into the OS...

I think they need a mouse shadow, too many of my stupid friends complain that my mouse doesn't have a shadow like win 2000...

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
I think the concept of having to pay for any upgrade to os x right now to be a joke.The version that we have already paid for is still a long way from being an acceptable,optimized consumer product,and really we are all just buying the os as is to be apple's guiny pigs for a product that is still largely under construction.An upgrade is when a product is packed full of new features and functionalities that cost tons to develop,an update is when they make what you already own have the functionality that it ought,and I think that we all deserve free updates until this os has been fully functionalized!
Right now in my view,os x is still one FAT slow mac app that still has a long way to go before it becomes an ideal,efficient consumer work enviroment.
I am however looking forward to being able to move fully over to it in the future,even if the whole interface and filesystem strangely reminds me a bit of ms windoze........not so user friendly.Actually kind of scary!

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by arn

ls | grep "pattern"

arn
I tired that and nothing happened.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Kid Red

I tired that and nothing happened.
it's probably case sensitive... you sure you have a file with the pattern in the directory? Cause otherwise it won't match anything

try:

ls | grep "a"

and it should match any files with the letter "a" in it.

arn

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
think sectret told us a few months back that apple postponed the release of 10.2 becaus ethey felt people werent ready to pay for it again so soon after they paid for 10.1. So apple held on to it and continued to develop it.

That sounds like complete BS to me (like everything posted on every rumor site *except macrumors* :))

Apple releases what they have when it's ready. If 10.2 was done but just "waiting on the shelf" then the recent builds would be a lot better than they have been.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
im not going to defend thinksecret's article because it might evry well be BS like you said. but i would like to clarify:

Apple had something they were planning on calling 10.2 that they were going to release in january. it would likely include some new features like spring loaded folder and other things. but apple decided people were not ready to pay for it again so soon. so rather than release it they continued with the development phase rather than turn it into a finished product. we might very likely be seeing things come out in 10.1.3 that were originally planned for 10.2. but i believe they are keeping all the "new" features and for 10.2.

again, im not saying this is true. it might very well be bs. i just wanted to make sure everyone at least knew what i was talking about before deciding whether it is true or not.

PUSH

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
BSD Subsystem

Hi KidRed,

what message comes up when you try that in the terminal? Have you used the the subsystem before?

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Re: BSD Subsystem

Originally posted by PUSH
Hi KidRed,

what message comes up when you try that in the terminal? Have you used the the subsystem before?

Sounds like he's typing "is" instead of "ls"

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
ls fun

try adding something like this

alias lsg 'ls -la | egrep -a $1'

then at a shell you can just do "lsg pattern" and it will appear. to add this to your startup you can do this:

shell prompt> cat >> ~/.tcshrc
alias lsg 'ls -la | egrep -i $1'
^D (<-- hit control D)

HumanJHawkins

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2001
Hood River, OR
Buyer Beware

Originally posted by rEd Eye
I think the concept of having to pay for any upgrade to os x right now to be a joke.The version that we have already paid for is still a long way from being an acceptable,optimized consumer product,and really we are all just buying the os as is to be apple's guiny pigs for a product that is still largely under construction.
I also hope Mac OS X updates continue to be free. I think it would be a good idea for Apple to keep them free until the user interface is much more refined so that people who don't know what words like "Preemptive-multitasking" mean will still feel like it is an upgrade from Mac OS 9.

That said, Apple is well within it's rights to decide to charge for updates at any time... Apple never said, "The OS is kinda' cruddy still, so we'll sell it to you now but give free updates until it is good." What they did say was, "Here is our OS and we think it is worth $129. Hope you agree."

Anyone who doesn't think it is worth the price, shouldn't buy it. Anyone who buys it thinking they are a guiny pig, might be right. But buy paying the money without a contract that includes free updates, they are accepting their status as guiny pig and shouldn't complain if the experiment goes wrong.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by rEd Eye
I think the concept of having to pay for any upgrade to os x right now to be a joke.The version that we have already paid for is still a long way from being an acceptable,optimized consumer product,and really we are all just buying the os as is to be apple's guiny pigs for a product that is still largely under construction.An upgrade is when a product is packed full of new features and functionalities that cost tons to develop,an update is when they make what you already own have the functionality that it ought,and I think that we all deserve free updates until this os has been fully functionalized!
Right now in my view,os x is still one FAT slow mac app that still has a long way to go before it becomes an ideal,efficient consumer work enviroment.
I am however looking forward to being able to move fully over to it in the future,even if the whole interface and filesystem strangely reminds me a bit of ms windoze........not so user friendly.Actually kind of scary!
The above quote should read:

I think the concept of having to pay for any upgrade to windows right now to be a joke.The version that we have already paid for is still a long way from being an acceptable,optimized consumer product,and really we are all just buying the os as is to be windows' guinea pigs for a product that is still largely under construction.An upgrade is when a product is packed full of new features and functionalities that cost tons to develop,an update is when they make what you already own have the functionality that it ought,and I think that we all deserve free updates until this os has been fully functionalized!
Right now in my view,windows xp is still one FAT slow wintel app that still has a long way to go before it becomes an ideal,efficient consumer work enviroment.
I am however looking forward to being able to move fully over to it in the future,even if the whole interface and filesystem strangely reminds me a bit of mac os........not so user friendly.Actually kind of scary!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Personally, I think it's BS

The part about Apple holding off 10.2 because they felt that people weren't ready to pay for another update. I say this because in Apple's eyes, 10.1 was a free update. So if that was Apple's official stance on 10.2, I think that it's BS.

Just my thoughts.

fisious

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
I think some people are missing the point, or at least what Apple is.

They could post the update, you could then download it, burn it to CD then run the update. But they won't do that and I understand why.

They make the OS, the machine and a lot of it's software. They directly support it, for free most of the time, which The Beast does not. They don't support hacking the OS like you know they don't attend support calls for something you are doing in Terminal.

All in all they are wanting to make a stable environment and I think they are doing just thay. Oh no, $15 for an upgrade CD! Anyway they have a stay up to date program where you can actually get the updates for free. I got 10.1 free, so watch there space.

OSX is a NEW OS. And they've got it pretty much right. Look at linux that's still not ready for the desktop, and i don't think M$ has got theirs right either.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Speed!

I hope OS X brings us some serious speed. I know people say "X is fast enough." But every time i go back into 9, its like a whole new world! It is so much faster. I hope 10.2 can incorporate these qualities!