Mac OS X 10.2 Security Upgrade

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
One day after the release! Were heading towards a ms style of system updates LOL.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
right after rebooting, the thing popped up like a mofo

Bartman

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by W-_-W
One day after the release!
Actually, the release date is tomorrow, so it's one day BEFORE release and we get the first update.

Way to be proactive Apple! :)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Apple:
Release security update 1 day before software

M$:
Have vulnerabilty submitted privately. Do nothing for 2 months. Have irate vuln. finder disclose vuln. publicly. Issue press release about how harmless vuln. is. Do nothing for 2 months. Wait until billions have been wasted recovering systems from vuln. in homes and offices worldwide. Release 'Critical' update.

I'll vote for Apple's approach anyday...

passwordispong

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by W-_-W
One day after the release! Were heading towards a ms style of system updates LOL.
I haven't read the complete readme on the security update so dont flame me if i am incorrect on this, but the difference here between apple and microsoft is apple is NOT updating security for stuff they wrote, on the other hand microsoft is always patching their own code.

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
they need to update the spinny thing in software update... the new one is much better. what is "sun rpc"?

kungfu

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
West By God VA
sun_rpc

sun_rpc is portmap. It is on all flavors of unix. I basically is a port that listens for various request such as NFS mount requests and other things that use remote proceedure call... If your curious portmap runs on port 111 tcp/udp check out your /etc/services. It is also known as rpcbind...

bit_bucket

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
greenplasticcup, how many towers do you have? :rolleyes: :D

>a ms style of system updates LOL.

Wdog, remember when OS X 10.1 was released? I think Apple had a Security Update going a short while after that. Then came Installer Update sometime later, then an eventual OS update.

The same thing probably will happen here with Jaguar. Besides, it's not like if you didn't get the updates every week or so your computer would become more prone to crashes. :p

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Here's one....

Perhaps this "security update" is tagging us all as we speak. The spiel says

increased security to prevent unauthorized access to applications, servers, and the operating system.

Whose unauthorized access, eh?:confused: Does it detect duplicated Jaguar installations?

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Without reading anything, it probably fixes some buffer overflow vulnerabilty, or some other clever hack that someone came up with.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: Here's one....

Originally posted by skunk

increased security to prevent unauthorized access to applications, servers, and the operating system.

Whose unauthorized access, eh?:confused: Does it detect duplicated Jaguar installations?
Doubtfull. But maybe you need to buy as many copies of OS X as you use. ;)

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
King Cobra -- Just one tower at work. I thought it would sound wierd if I was saying "I'm installing jaguar right now." since I was typing; and unfortunately you can't goof off at macrumors while installing the OS. I just was trying to distinguish between my laptop and my tower.

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Re: Here's one....

Originally posted by skunk

every single security update i've had says that...i bet it has nothing to do with the MS style of watching where every copy of XP is installed (wouldn't it be counter-productive to monitor all your customers? but then again i guess they don't care...)

Tom-Servo

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2002
Doot.

This update is the Open SSL security update that was patched into 10.1.5. They didn't get it put into Jaguar apparently before it went GM. So now this is bringing security parity to Jaguar. At least that is what my developer friend is telling me. But it makes sense since lots of websites were talking about them having to roll in a few security updates that were put into 10.1 recently.

oeyvind

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2002
It's not one day before... remember folks there's multiple time zone in this world of ours... it's already afternoon of the 8/24 now in the Far East and evening in the pacific.

^^

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Where can I download the update from the web? I like to keep the updates so that i dont have to download them again (I only have a 56k modem) if my system ever needed a re-install (not likely).