Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blenz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
together with Safari's once in a while crashing.
And that External FireWire Drive issue (though firmware fixes have been available in the past few days).

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I don't get it...?

Originally posted by Jack White
saw this on a bit torrent site..rather wait for the officail one

Why even mention it? Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that someone who actually paid to be an Apple Developer would even consider throwing away the membership for the sake of posting an internal testing build to a P2P service.

I guess people just don't make sense.

As it is, I'm glad Apple isn't rushing this update out the door, in the apparent interests of being thorough.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I agree it's strange that someone would risk their membership by posting Apple files, but then I suppose the actual penetration into the Mac community is minimal, plus they get a "feel-good" factor about it. The same happened with the internal Longhorn builds, I guess that if the leaker had been caught he would have lost his job.

I hope Apple takes a long time on this update and resolves the majority of bugs that crept through, currently the file size is very small indicating that only a few areas have been fixed (remember all point updates include the security updates aswell). Of course, a performance update wouldn't go amiss ;).

AppleMatt

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I think that these sorts of leaks are only positive for Apple since they demonstrate that progress is being made.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
for what its worth...

this is what macosrumors (https://www.macrumors.com) says about it:
...expected to eliminate problems with data corruption on Firewire 800 storage devices, fix a handful of user-level crash bugs, and may modestly improve startup performance and Fast User Switching.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Never had issue with filevault or fast user switching. Only Safari for me is an issue anything to keep it from crashing will help me out.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
No "fast-user switching" problems?

That's odd. My MX700 mouse preferences got mixed up with another account. I had a few others, but I can't remember them. :)

But one of them had something to do with Exposé not working properly.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Originally posted by rodnarms
Safari crashes often for me. I hope they fix that soon.

Curious. Safari never crashes for me and I use it on three different machines.

Not to deny what you are going through. I am always curious about things that only happen on some computers when ideally all computers (of one brand) should be alike.

Obviously something is different between your computer and mine.

Do you try repairing permissions? Running Fsck? Does it only crash on certain sites?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Originally posted by ITR 81
Never had issue with filevault or fast user switching. Only Safari for me is an issue anything to keep it from crashing will help me out.

Be cautious with FileVault. There is a known issue. It will cause problems if you agree when it asks to clean up unused space.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by neutrino23
Be cautious with FileVault. There is a known issue. It will cause problems if you agree when it asks to clean up unused space.

Not always. I recovered space 3 times with no bad effects. I have deactivated it, though, with all of the reports of data loss/corruption.

jeffmc425

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Seattle, Wa
external drives

I don't know about you, but I have a problem serving FW 400 drives on the iMac, under panther, to the other Panther macs on my net. I do not have an issue with 10.2.8.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by Pipian
Errgh.. I Lost my SHerlock 3 Apple Channels, how do I get them back?

it looks like they update from apple! ...when i first opened sherlock i had no channels ...i left it open for a little bit and they started popping up one by one ...must be downloading from apple's website

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I am curious about the following:

In /System/Library/Extensions/AppleStorageDrivers.kext/Contents/PlugIns

There is a new (not in 10.2.8) kext. It is the "OxfordSemiconductor.kext".

Has anyone tried removing this to see if that solves the 10.3 Firewire problem? (e.g. reverting back to the generic SBP-2(?) drivers)

There is NOT an updated version of that .kext in 10.3.1 7C103 that I saw. I haven't seen 7C107.

The only remotely IO related item is:
/System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/
which may or may not fix it.

Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider using the beta, but I have about 6 Firewire drives and this is a big issue.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Re: for what its worth...

Originally posted by centauratlas
this is what macosrumors (https://www.macrumors.com) says about it:...

HAHAHA! I find that rather amusing, given that, by their description, 7C103 is a comparatively small old build and that 7C107 was available, apparently, before they published their web update on Friday.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Re: Re: for what its worth...

Originally posted by mustang_dvs
HAHAHA! I find that rather amusing, given that, by their description, 7C103 is a comparatively small old build and that 7C107 was available, apparently, before they published their web update on Friday.

What I find amusing too is that everyone else that has mentioned 10.3.1 has *only* mentioned 7C103. No one else has mentioned anything above that build #. And that I have yet to see anything besides 7C103 anywhere (e.g. bittorrent).

For example:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33533
One of the pay subscription Mac Dailies.
Macintouch.

The 7C103 build was built late (US eastern) on Tuesday of last week. Consequently probably not available until Wednesday for many people.

All the changes referenced above for 7C107 seem to be in 7C103.

For what it is worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.