Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Now available via Software Update:
The 10.3.6 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key enhancements include:
improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks
more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications
improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers
additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications
improved compatibility for third party applications
previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300080
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This is a very odd time for an update: late on a Friday. This is the time companies usually use for press releases they don't want to make, to let the bad reactions die down over the weekend. I doubt Apple is doing such a thing here; they probably issued it when it was ready, and this time it just happened to be at the end of a day at the end of a week!

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Oddly enough this seems to have fixed the spinning "beach ball" I have been plagued with every time I would try to access my second hard drive. (yes, I had already tried prebinding & permission repair, etc)

Install was on a Dual 1.25 G4 MDD

My 15" 1.25 G4 PowerBook is rebooting now

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Is this somehow a premature release? No article having to do with 10.3.6 exists on apple's servers. And the "latest" update listed by them is 10.3.5 - the 88 MB one. It's released with no support. Maybe in a coupla hours they'll have something, but just seems odd to me.

eh, another day; another download....

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Third Floor
There was a glitch in calculator. Something was being discussed a couple of months ago. It was minor or insignificant for most users, but a glitch nonetheless. Perhaps this fixes it.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I downloaded the 10.3.6 seed from ADC the other day. Can someone verify that this build number is 7R28? Thanks.

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
daveL said:
I downloaded the 10.3.6 seed from ADC the other day. Can someone verify that this build number is 7R28? Thanks.
System Profile shows that you do have the final, 7R28

bmelon

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
California
wow, safari seems a whole lot zippier after the update... and it's not just the system optimization, since I just ran that yesterday. :)

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
After updating, the scrollpad on my kensington studio mouse is busted. The third button works fine.

I forgot how much i became reliant on that scrollpad... dragging alllll the way over to that scroll bar is so TEDIOUS :)

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Well I guess I will have to wait until I send my iBook into Apple to update. No sense in updating when my computer is just going to be formatted.

Mike

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
I've got 3 things to say...

1. Wooo! Hooo! Finally!
2. LOL "Snappy"
3. Waiting for Yamaha to release new mLAN drivers now. Were supposed to be released alongside 10.3.6.

:D

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
pink issue with 23" lcd (alu)) is fixed

Installed the update, no problems what so ever. Didn't had any before though, although I had 2 'minor' ones.

1 - Dvdplayer scrambled my subs now and then, fixed now
2 - Default color profile for 23" was pinkish on finder and safari windows, has been fixed now! (just reselect the default profile)

Good job apple!