Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the heels of the Mac OS X 10.4 announcement, Apple has made available the Mac OS X 10.3.9 update for Panther in your software update:

The 10.3.9 Update delivers overall improved compatibility and reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Improvements include:
- file sharing and directory services reliability for mixed Mac and PC networks
- Mail, Safari and Stickies application reliability
- compatibility for third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300966
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

NOTE: If Java doesn't work after updating, install the 2005-002 Security Update.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
No Drivers

Macrumors said:

On the heels of the Mac OS X 10.4 announcement, Apple has made available the Mac OS X 10.3.9 update for Panther in your software update:

The 10.3.9 Update delivers overall improved compatibility and reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Improvements include:
- file sharing and directory services reliability for mixed Mac and PC networks
- compatibility for third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300966
For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

No new nVidea drivers?

mingisback

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
United States
this update was released to support the new machines being announced this Sunday at the NAB Keynote Presentation.... (keeping fingers crossed)

....... added support for DualCore G5's :)

wouldn't that be nice, hehe.

edson113

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
51mb that seems pretty big, ohh well 10.3.9 may you treat me well for the 2 weeks we are together

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
No mention of updated graphics drivers or a fix for the G5 fan problem. Ugh. I guess it's a good way to encourage upgrading to Tiger..?

wookitus

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
STICKIEEEEEES

Macrumors said:

STICKIES UPDATE! YESSSS! I can barely contain myself. I hear this one is the stickies minor bug fix we've all been waiting for. No need for Tiger now! :eek:

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I'm having trouble downloading it, it says that it cant connect to the server. But my internet is working fine???

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
runplaysleeprun said:
i think they've run out of numbers.
10.3.7, 10.3.8, 10.3.9, 10.3.9 and a half, 10.3.9 and three quarters....
10.3.10, 10.3.11, 10.3.12, 10.3.529824958140514.........

Alec006

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
wookitus said:
STICKIES UPDATE! YESSSS! I can barely contain myself. I hear this one is the stickies minor bug fix we've all been waiting for. No need for Tiger now! :eek:

thank god...that stickies problem was so annoying i was ready to bust out my Dell...but not anymore, now its installing, and my PB 15 has morphed into a lapzilla...niiice

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
darn restart needed, oh well, hopefully nothing will break on my system, i hope , :::fingers crossed:::

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
From Apple:

Improvements

This update offers many reliability and compatibility improvements. These are just a few of the enhancements and improvements included:

Stickies

Addresses an issue in which Stickies could unexpectedly quit when creating a new note.

Addresses an issue in which new Stickies are invisible.

Stickies windows can now be minimized (an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.4 through 10.3.8).

Safari

Accessing certain websites, such as msnbc.com, mail.yahoo.com, ticketmaster.com, and others, no longer displays a "bad server response" alert that could occur in Safari.

Addresses an issue in which "safe downloads" files are not automatically opened after downloading.

SSL webpages (pages with URLs that start with "https://") load faster in Safari.

Adds some important Verisign root certificates to Safari, allowing you to connect to certain secure websites that you might not have been able to surf before.

Adds other trusted root certificates to Safari, such as VISA and RSA.

Finder

Addresses an issue in which copied files could become fragmented (but still usable) when you copy more than one file at the same time in the Finder.

Addresses a rare issue in which a file could become damaged when copying to a FAT16- or FAT32-formatted volume.

Improves reliability when mounting (making available) a disk image that's larger than 4.7 GB.

More

Addresses slow vertical tracking and intermittent trackpad behavior on PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz, 15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz, and 17-inch 1.67GHz computers.

Adds an "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.32)" modem choice that you can use if you have difficulty using Verizon's Airfone Jet Connect service.

Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.6 and later in which the Calculator window won't appear if the Speak Button Pressed or Speak Total options are enabled.

Fixes an issue at the login window, where clicking the small space just below the bottom user account picture would produce this alert:
"Internal Error *** -[NSCF Array objectAtIndex:]: index(-1) beyond bounds (X)" (where X is the number of user accounts shown).

Addresses an issue in which the startup time in Mac OS X 10.3.6 through 10.3.8 may be extended if a large number of PostScript fonts are installed.

If your PowerBook G4 sometimes wakes up with a kernel panic, installing this update may help.

Addresses a data loss issue that could occur when syncing your iDisk at the same time that .Mac servers are experiencing heavy usage.

Avoids a potential Mail issue if the application is running when Daylight Savings Time changes.

Addresses some formatting issues that could occur when replying to HTML messages in Mail.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
runplaysleeprun said:
i think they've run out of numbers.
10.3.7, 10.3.8, 10.3.9, 10.3.9 and a half, 10.3.9 and three quarters....

lets not start this debate again. anyone with a brain knows that if another update is coming, they can go with 10.3.10. they didnt run out of numbers.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Rocksaurus said:
No mention of updated graphics drivers or a fix for the G5 fan problem. Ugh. I guess it's a good way to encourage upgrading to Tiger..?
The actual big fix list was extensive for this release. Software Update just gives a couple highlights. Graphics drivers did receive some attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.