MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has released Mac OS X 10.3 Panther Build 7B85 to Premier Apple Developers via their Apple Developer Connection website.

The first reports of Panther going Gold Master appeared on October 1st from various sources on the web.

Despite significant debate, it does appear build 7B85 is the Gold Master build which has gone to duplication.

Apple officially announced Panther's release to be on October 24th at 8pm.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
it seems like someone was tellilng me they had found exposé bugs in 7b85... is that true?

i wonder how many days it will be out before we catch 10.3.1...

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by shadowfax
it seems like someone was tellilng me they had found exposé bugs in 7b85... is that true?
Can you be more specific? It works wihtout a hitch on my iBook 500.

Speaking of which, my 500th post!!!

Comment

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Originally posted by blueBomber
um.... now I'm wondering if I want to upgrade to panther so quickly on my perfectly working jaguar install

yeah, I'm going to:D

Me too :D

Comment

huckleup

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2003
Left Coast
Re: uhhh.....

Originally posted by From Win to Mac
i'm also an ADC member. I'm a student. We don't get those seeds. Only Select Members get them.
I believe it is only available to Premier members (as the original post says) and not even Select members.

Comment

LostInAMac

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2003
England
iBooks & Panther & Dual Headed Display Hack

Does anyone know if you can still use the hack so that you can have multiple monitors on your iBook without mirroring on Panther?
I am not really sure of how the hack works and whether it would be affected, has anyone tried it with one of the earlier versions of Panther?

Thanks a lot

Comment

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Re: Re: uhhh.....

Originally posted by huckleup
I believe it is only available to Premier members (as the original post says) and not even Select members.

You know, this really gets my goat. I'm a Select member, and have verified I don't have this build for download. In the differences between Select and Premiere there's nothing about Premiere members having better build options. If anything, the descriptions in this regard are exactly the same. The differences are mainly in WWDC attendance and support availability. Is my software less important to test on Panther just because I paid Apple a few hundred dollars less?

Arghh!

Comment

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: iBooks & Panther & Dual Headed Display Hack

i would bet that there will be an update to the hack within about a week or 2 after the panther release, if the current hack stops working :)

Comment

gallenx

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
Re: Re: Re: uhhh.....

Originally posted by bignumbers
You know, this really gets my goat. I'm a Select member, and have verified I don't have this build for download. In the differences between Select and Premiere there's nothing about Premiere members having better build options. If anything, the descriptions in this regard are exactly the same. The differences are mainly in WWDC attendance and support availability. Is my software less important to test on Panther just because I paid Apple a few hundred dollars less?

Arghh!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll probably have access soon. They're probably just trying to make sure their servers don't get absolutely destroyed by the traffic. Give it a few days.

I just hope they give it to the WWDC attendees. I'd really rather not wait till the November mailing to get it for free. :)

Comment

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by shadowfax

i wonder how many days it will be out before we catch 10.3.1...

Do you have more data on the Expose bug? I certainly can't find one through vast combinations of expose + command+tab, etc.

7B85 is very stable and I haven't noticed any real problems or bugs yet (just new features, obviously)

Comment

aaroncd

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2002
Kosovo
i hope not....

I tried it, and while it seems cool, there is a MAJOR bug which basically renders it unusable, any window that you move, or scroll, keeps the original content, like say you drag a window across the screen, it moves, but anything that was in the window stays where it was on the screen, to clean it i have to minimize it to the dock, then bring it up again. every time i get or send a message in iChat, same thing.

I have a g4 400 AGP, upgraded with a gigadesigns 800, and one of the apple nVidia geForce 4 MX (32M) cards in it.

Aaron

Comment

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003

Originally posted by LostInAMac
Does anyone know if you can still use the hack so that you can have multiple monitors on your iBook without mirroring on Panther?
I am not really sure of how the hack works and whether it would be affected, has anyone tried it with one of the earlier versions of Panther?
Not a developer, pirate, or owner of a Radeon-equipped iBook, but I can tell you that that's a very low-level hack (a script that runs in Open Firmware at boot), and my guess is that unless Apple has specifically modified the OS to break it, it should work just great in Panther.

W "king of long, single-sentence posts" M

Comment

Anthd15

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
La Mirada, CA

Thanks a lot

I applied the same hack on my 17" iMac and it still works after upgrading to Panther 7B68. I'd imagine it would be the same for your iBook. Hope this helps.

Comment

cnladd

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
Northridge, CA

Thanks a lot

Yes, I've verified that this still works with 7B85.

Comment

Linc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2003
Macromedia

Hi All, has anyone tried out Studio MX 2004 or Contribute under 7b85? The programs wont start for me.. it bounces for a few seconds and then they disappear. Also I had to reboot the other day, and when I logged back in all my menu items were gone.. I was kinda hoping 7b85 wasn't going to be the GM. Oh well I guess I just have to wait for 10.3.1 :rolleyes:

Comment

earlopogous

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2003

Thanks a lot

Unless apple changed open firmware, it should work. It really has almost nothing to do with the OS, just the firmware.

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Re: Re: uhhh.....

Originally posted by bignumbers

Arghh!

A few hundred dollars? Isn't Select $500 vs. $3500 for Premier?

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: uhhh.....

Originally posted by From Win to Mac
i'm also an ADC member. I'm a student. We don't get those seeds. Only Select Members get them.

I'm in the Student Developer program too. I don't know if we'll get a downloadable version, but we'll definitely get Panther in the mail on CD.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.