Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rpearlberg, Oct 4, 2013.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

My wife got the new 5s and needs to update her iTunes but it won't let her without updating to 10.6.8.

Do I have to buy the disc from Apple? Is there an online download anywhere?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to buy the disc from Apple. There is no digital download available.

3. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Do you have an earlier version of 10.6? or are you saying you don't have 10.6 at all? If you have 10.6, use Software Update from the Apple menu. If not, yes, you have to buy it, but it is only $19 now here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard (Your Mac has to have an Intel processor to install this.)

In the meantime, (I'm not sure if you got the 5s from Apple if this will work or not), you should be able to set it up and activate it and sync over wifi. She can sign in to her Apple ID (or create one) over wifi as well, and this should let her get purchased music and apps through the phone over wifi also. You can set it up for iCloud backups. If you prefer backing up to computer, you can change this once you get Snow Leopard on it.

4. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Did you catch my comment? You can set up the 5s completely over wifi, no iTunes needed.

----------

lOOkie what I found while perusing OS X forums: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US (10.6.8 combo update) :D

I know it says system requirements 10.6 & higher, but, the disc I got installed on my previous Mac Book, even after I wiped my hard drive...so it's worth a try.

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, thanks. I was able to set her phone over wifi, and also I plugged it into my MBP. But now how does she get her playlists off of her old phone (iPhone 4)?

6. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Well, you say you have now also plugged into MBP? So, if you are all updated and using iTunes now, you probably just need to go to the Playlists tab while the iPhone is plugged in, since you set it up without plugging in first, Playlist sync is probably unchecked. I honestly have only hooked my iPhones up to iTunes, so not sure if you can do this over wifi only.

Also, new to iOS 7, you can have access to all your iTunes music associated with your Apple ID. I think the default setting for this is turned on: Settings>Music>Show All Music

One way to know this is if you go to Music app, Songs tab, and you have tracks that have an iCloud cloud to the right, those are not actually on your iPhone, they are on another device or iTunes on your computer...whatever is available across all devices associated with that Apple ID. To see what devices are associated with your Apple ID go to your iTunes account on computer go to iTunes store, click on your email and then Account, (password), see iTunes In The Cloud, to the right in blue "Manage Devices" click on this and it will show you the list of devices associated with that Apple ID account. From here you can also delete any devices you no longer use.

If you play tracks with a cloud to the right, you are going to be using wifi or cell data to stream it. You can download the song to your device by clicking on the cloud. If you want to manage your cell data usage, turn off the "Show All Music" as I described above.