Mac OS X does not see pictures, movies from CF card. Digi cam does.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sigamy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

My son uses a small, cheap AIPTEK digital camcorder. It has a 512mb CF card. When the card is in the camera, we can see all the pictures and movies that he has taken.

I used to be able to plug the card into a card reader and take the pics off. Now when I plug the card in, all I see is a large file that the Mac thinks is a Unix exec file. I think this is actually a folder.

I've download a Picture restore app and it does see the files. Just wondering if there is any way I can get these files without spending $40 on this software?

Why does Mac OS X think this folder is just a big file?

TIA for any help.

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

You say "I used to be able to plug the card into a card reader and take the pics off. Now when I plug the card in, all I see is a large file that the Mac thinks is a Unix exec file" - what happened in between the time you could read from the card and the time its contents appeared as a large unix exec file? Also, have you tried reading it with a different OS or card reader?

3. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what happened, it's been a few months. I may have formatted the card inside the camera, not sure if that would cause it.

I don't have a Windows machine around with firewire port for my card reader. Maybe I can find one though.