Mac OS X isn't booting anymore because of safari 3.03 ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Agurri, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Hello,

I decided I'd like to use the new safari beta, so I installed it. Safari installed nicely and they asked me to reboot, which I did. After rebooting, Safari would always crash. I wouldn't open and it would crash... so I decided to re-install it. At the end, they asked me again to reboot, and now, the reboot screen is stuck at the apple logo with the spinning wheel. I tried booting in safe mode, but it would still be stuck at the spinning wheel. Then, I tried to boot in verbose mode, and while it's getting stucked... I know where. The last thing written is :

/etc/rc: line 260: 32 Segmentation fault /usr/sbin/update

My computer is a CD Macbook, 80gb and I never had this kind of problem before... any help would be great.

THanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try booting from the OS X install disc and use the Disk Utility there to repair the disk, see if that helps.

3. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

Thanks for the help. I did repaired my mac os x volume, and there was acutally an error, but it didn't help.

If the problem occured when I updated to safari 3.03... if I'm able to remove safari via target mode... do you think it would help booting ?

Or is there anything else I can do ???

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

5. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

Well, thank you. I would like to know if I do Archive and Install, I would like to know if my Documents and Pictures folders will be saved. But, since my /Users account wil be saved, and I think Pictures, Documents, etc, are located in Users, I think I don't have to worry. Should I ?

6. kolax macrumors G3

Archive and Install replaces all the system files, while keeping your user account, files and settings.

I'd always backup any data before doing that though, just incase ;)

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's always good to have a backup anyway, but an archive and install won't touch any of your data.

8. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I didn't know that. I always thought that Archive and Install would just save everything into a disk image so that you can dig into and recover old files.

This is good to know. Thanks! :)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It archives the system folders but keeps the user folders intact :)

10. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

Well, all my important files such as pictures and documents and stored into Mozy free 2gb.... so it's good. But still, I'm going to try Archive and Restone.

To the MacMobile ! Let's go.

11. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

Ok, I'm trying to do the Archive and restore but I don't have the option to do. I use the DVD supplied with my Macbook. When I come to the point of choosing a destination volume to install OSX, they won't let me continue without erasing firts. It's written : You cannot install Mac OS X on this vlume without changing your install settings. Click Options to change settings. A newr version of Mac OS X is installed.

Well, the disc supplied is 10.4.6 I think, but 10.4.10 is installed on the machine... So, starting from there, I think i'm going to go buy a 6pin - 6pin FW cable and juste use TDM before Erasing & Installing a new version of Mac OS X.

Oh well. If you guys have anything to say to help, i'll do the install in like.. 3 hours.

Thanks.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

13. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

Not under phone support. But still under wanrranty. But hey, it's a software & OS problem so, it's ok. It's like if you were calling Microsoft each time you would have a software problem or you need to reinstall the OS in Windows.

Well, I'm going to put a new OS anyway

Thanks.