Mac OS X Lion About to Come - Should I install straight away or wait for reviews?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by niksimpsons, Jul 11, 2011.

  1. niksimpsons, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

    niksimpsons macrumors member


    May 12, 2011
    Within the couple of weeks or may be before this weekend OS X lion will be in front of us. I am sure thousands of people like me has been eagerly waiting for it. Some days back they had launched beta version of Lion & my experience with that was not very good (as expected), I am also with peoples who are complaining about kernal freeze, systems crashed. In such scenario are you going to upgrade OS X to Lion or Keep on wait for some time to make it stable!!

    As I am not much satisfied with Lion (beta), should I continue with Mac OS?
    So, what you suggest should I upgrade now with release of software or should I wait or user reviews after the launched of Lion.
  2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

    Jun 29, 2008
    If this is your main topic and reason for making this thread you should have it reflect in the title of the post.
  3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a


    Sep 26, 2009
    Durham, UK
    So far reviews have been pretty polorised, some love it but some hate it. Some people have issues, others dont. Realistically its a choice only you can make.

    A word of warning though. make sure you aren't still running Powerpc applications, they wont work at all. Might be worth checking any applications you NEED and use on a daily basis are not not having issues with Lion e.g. i had to roll back to SL as Logmein doesnt yet work and my Drobo started acting up, both of which are important to me
  4. Steve R Austin macrumors newbie

    Steve R Austin

    Jul 4, 2011
    London U.K.
    I'm gonna buy it when released but not going to install it over my SL (too many apps that wont work under Lion).

    Fresh install & duel boot for me at the start.
  5. dknightd macrumors 6502

    Mar 7, 2004
    I think you should install it right away, and write a review.

    I'll be waiting . . .
  6. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I would check up on what applications you depend on and see if they are known to work on Lion. Also no matter how much testing Apple does, the 10.7.0 is going to have bugs; do you have an external HDD with a clone that you could boot to if Lion is too messy? Do you have time and energy to troubleshoot new software?

    I might try Lion, but it's cause I have a spare MBP with a SuperDuper clone on a firewire HDD.
  7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

    Nov 26, 2007
    Austin, TX
    And don't forget to send bug reports to apple so that when I install at 10.7.3, it will be good and stable.
  8. niksimpsons thread starter macrumors member


    May 12, 2011
    Thats exactly what is happening with me. First I was thinking it is problem of my Mac. :confused::confused:
  9. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Personally, there's more wisdom in waiting to see if others run into issues.

    By waiting you can avoid being on the bleeding edge.
  10. fat jez macrumors 68000

    fat jez

    Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    The speed my broadband runs at, this won't be an issue ;)
  11. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    Based on the stability of previous OS X releases I would recommend waiting until 10.7.2 or maybe 10.7.3 that's when the new operating systems seem to start being stable enough.
  12. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816


    Jul 10, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Download and install immediately as soon as it is available then write a review so the rest of us can decide what to do.
  13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

    Amazing Iceman

    Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    LOL... You do understand that not everyone will obtain the same results, don't you?

    Still, I'll install it as soon as it comes out. That's why I have Time Machine.
    The worse it could happen is that it crashes.
    I would definitely remove any third-party driver that I may consider suspicious; and I am definitely removing TechTools before upgrading.
  14. niksimpsons, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

    niksimpsons thread starter macrumors member


    May 12, 2011
    I was thinking of waiting for reviews to come by users but now if most you guys wanted me to upgrade straight way, so only for you guys I am ready to do so but I am thinking of collecting the some cool utilities so that I can minimize my loss. ;):
    Help me doing so. For now I have:

    • I Set Time Machine for periodic Back
    • Made clone of whole hard drive
    • Updated Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery software
    • Going to verify hard drive status

    Thats all from my side. Anything more you want to suggest before upgrading to Lion?
  15. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Yes, verify all your applications and printer(s) are compatible. If you have any rosetta apps, they'll not work with Lion. Additionally there may be some utilities and printer drivers that may not function properly.
  16. Nikh macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2010
    Yesterday installed Mac OS Lion on USB drive, it even works (not so fast because of USB limitations).
    What can I say - just update of 10.6 with some bells and whistles. All old software works. Nothing revolutionary new :)
  17. windowstomac macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2011
    As a jaded long-term geek I know the sensible thing is to wait.....and I've only had a shiny MacBook Pro for 3 weeks and it's running like a dream, but I think I'm going to install it straight away so that I CAN write a review for my blog....
  18. niksimpsons thread starter macrumors member


    May 12, 2011
    Yes.. even in Lion (beta) I faced this scenario that some of the utilities are not functioning properly. I have checked all. Anyways thanks for highlighting the issue.. :)
  19. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2008
    I just hope it comes out soon! I have only had my MBP for a little over a week so it's not really completely set up yet. I just switched from PC to Mac and as still in the learning phases of switching. I have only downloaded a few apps from the MAS (Dropbox, Alfred, Twitter, and a few free games) and assume that any new app downloaded right now will work in Lion. Even with just a few apps, I'll have my Time Machine backup and the SL disk that came with the computer, so I see no reason not to upgrade.

    Also, because I just bought my MBP I get the upgrade for free, but it is my understanding that is only for 30 days from release so I really do need to upgrade immediately. I have done the iOS updates the first day available on the last two and have had no problems. Hopefully I'll continue with that same luck! :apple:
  20. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030


    Jan 10, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I am waiting until at least 10.7.2 myself.
    Many beta testers will tell you that, even on the Gold Master version, Mission Control is buggy or, in other words, "A bag of hurt".
  21. carylee2002 macrumors member


    Jul 27, 2008

    I wouldn't load that program in until they get all the kinks out of first. Version 10.6.8 has much so that some manufacturers won't certify their programs to work past 10.6.7. (IE Protools)
  22. dtechlogic macrumors regular

    May 15, 2011
    I Think for myself i will wait. Can't afford to loose data. Especially the hours that it takes to download Adobe CS5.5 Production premium.
  23. niksimpsons thread starter macrumors member


    May 12, 2011
    Hey!! I am "First day First show types" and mark me my words it gives more satisfaction, atleast to me...
    If point is data loss only you can use backup software for the same. Why waiting just because of fear of data loss. Prepare clone of whole data and save in external drive (as I did using Stellar Drive Clone ) or use any software preparing incremental backup and get rid of this fear.

    I feel the fun is at fullest on the first day... :) and that why I am going to upgrade it on the first day.
  24. dermeister macrumors 6502


    Jan 19, 2003
    The instant-resume featured caused Preview to resume some porn when I opened an email attachment in front of a friend.

    It was very embarrassing. I blame Steve Jobs.
  25. chrono1081 macrumors 604


    Jan 26, 2008
    Isla Nublar
    Its up to you OP.

    I myself love being an early adopter even if it means dealing with bugs. Apples quick with the fixes so its no biggie. That being said if bugs are something that would bother you I'd suggest holding off.

    Unfortunately as much as I would LOVE to upgrade to Lion I have to make sure Maya, Unity, and many others work with it first since I am partway between developing a game (but need the OpenGL3.2 for programming).

    So, that comes to a third option which I will be doing and you may want to do too. I'm putting Lion on an external drive and booting from it, that way I can have all my apps I need for game development and can switch to Lion for OpenGL programming.

Share This Page