Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cometdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2002
I have a 450MHz iMac with 320MB of ram. I was wondering if I OS X will work well on my iMac or should I just stick with OS 9.2? I don't want to buy OS X if it will make my computer run slowly. Also, if I am able to get OS X will I even be able to run Jaguar without it really slowing my computer down? Anybody's advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
My grandparents have an iMac 450 and I just installed OS X onto it and upped its ram to 320 and it's NOT that fast... my G4 400 PCI is actually faster! Wait for Jaguar. Even though us early adopters won't be able to use Quartz Extreme it should be at least a *little* faster...

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
im running a iMac 400 with 384 of memory....it runs good enough. and a hell of a lot more stable than 9

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Originally posted by Hemingray
My grandparents have an iMac 450 and I just installed OS X onto it and upped its ram to 320 and it's NOT that fast... my G4 400 PCI is actually faster! Wait for Jaguar. Even though us early adopters won't be able to use Quartz Extreme it should be at least a *little* faster...

Of course its not going to be "FAST" because its a 450mhz G3 and of course a G4 would be faster. :)

Jaguar is more then a *little* faster on even a machine with crap for hardware graphics acceleration by the way. :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by icetraxxg5
Of course its not going to be "FAST" because its a 450mhz G3 and of course a G4 would be faster. :)

Jaguar is more then a *little* faster on even a machine with crap for hardware graphics acceleration by the way. :)

OS X feels slow on my G4 400, so to say that it feels slow on a G3 450 means it feels even slower, and it was kind of a disappointment! But my grandparents don't care that much about how much of their processor is seized by the GUI, so I'm probably the only one who notices. :)

And boy you can bet I'm glad to hear that Jaguar is so "snappy"... :D I don't ever get tired of hearing it! I try not to set my expectations too high, though... I was believing the G5 rumors last September! And we all know where that's currently going, sooo... but thankfully, this evidence is very real. Except Jaguar's being shown off on the "supported" graphics cards, so we'll see where that one goes, too.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Your iMac 450 can be maxed out at a Gig of memory, according to the Mactracker program I have. I would suggest that once you do move to OS X, chunk in the RAM and chunk in as much as you can. OS X will devour your RAM. I am not quite sure if 320MB is enough, but on my 0.5GHz Cube I have that Gig of memory and OS X, for the most part, runs rather well with many programs.

In other words, if you like OS X, feed it RAM, and OS X will like you. :)

Fear the King.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Hemingray

That's a no-brainer... Of COURSE it will run faster on a 400MHz G4 :rolleyes:

It should run well enough on a 450MHz iMac. I'd suggest going to OS X now, and then update to newer versions later.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by AlphaTech

That's a no-brainer... Of COURSE it will run faster on a 400MHz G4 :rolleyes:

It should run well enough on a 450MHz iMac. I'd suggest going to OS X now, and then update to newer versions later.

It was hardly faster. Both of them are slow as heck. And the 450 G3 has 2XAGP graphics, while my lowly G4 400 is PCI graphics. Before you try to make me sound like a total moron, you know darn well that OS X is very much graphics dependent. My machine loses there. And yet it was still slightly faster, OF COURSE because it's a G4 processor.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hemingray

OS X does take up a lot of your graphics card. I can see why your iMac is almost the same as your G4.

I know that my G4 (500MHz) with 1024MB of RAM, 16MB Rage Pro is not as fast as my dads G4 (400MHz) with 512MB of RAM, and a 64MB Radeon 8500.

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Jaguar on my iBook 500mhz is pretty snappy, I think it is faster then OS 9 in opening applications! But it is still slow with stuff like menus, scrolling and resizing... So most things still feel like 10.1... When will apple accelerate SCROLLING AT LEAST! :confused:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I run OSX on my iMac DV 400 and my iBook 600 and would never go back to OS9! It is not quite as snappy on these machines as OS9 was, but it is beautiful, stable, and so nice to use! A 450MHz G3 will run OSX just fine. My 400MHz iMac does just fine with it. I am looking forward to 10.2 because I know it is going to speed things up for me, but don't worry 10.1.4 runs great on the machines. Steve showed us that OS9 is going to the grave, so I would recommend anyone with a G3 or G4 system to throw some RAM in and enjoy OSX because it is here to stay. OS9 is going to become a "dead" operating system here shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.