Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacGuardians.de claims that Panther 7B85 has gone Gold Master and is already in duplication. An anonymous MacRumors report, today, also claimed that build 7B85 would be Gold Master.

While neither source has had much of a rumor history, speculation about Final Candidate status on the Panther Builds has grown since internal build 7B80 was stripped of its Pre Release designation.

Reports of Build 7B85 showed up on Monday as an Internal Release at Apple. No details on the build were available, but AppleInsider since noted some very minor tweaks in the 7B85 build.

Tentative target dates are rumored to be October 24th or 25th.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone know how long it normally takes to go from starting duplication to shipping date.

3 weeks seems like a very long time, maybe they will shipped sooner, and at the same time with iTunes for Windows :)

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Jaguar hit GM almost a month before it was finally released.
In fact, a revision of G4 towers and eMacs came preloaded with 10.2 two weeks before its release.

I'm surprised they went GM so quickly, especially since they were throwing out new builds almost daily. You'd think they'd want to beat the crap out of a FC build for a few days before declaring it "perfect".

...and as of 7B80, there were still some bugs I would like to see fixed. If only I had an ADC account, I'd report them... :p

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by Dippo
Does anyone know how long it normally takes to go from starting duplication to shipping date.

3 weeks seems like a very long time, maybe they will shipped sooner, and at the same time with iTunes for Windows :)

The physical aspects of mass-producing the CDs (or maybe DVDs?) shouldn't take long...and I'm sure they already have all the packaging ready...it's just a matter of when Jobs and co. want to unveil the product.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I guess a caveat is that this is from unconfirmed sources.

The reason it made it to page one is that MacGuardians is not a usual rumor suspect, and it correlated with an anonymous report.

so, take with grain of salt... and let's hope.

arn

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
what happened to the "slew of new animated effects and interface changes" in 81? looks like it was BS.

syrreg

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Shouldn't Apple already be accepting pre-orders from consumers if they really are that close to release.?

I don't think you can even pre-order Panther from Amazon at this point - but I'm pretty sure Jaguar was available for pre-order a few weeks before it actually was RTM.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by bitfactory
what happened to the "slew of new animated effects and interface changes" in 81? looks like it was BS.
i was wondering the same thing. the scroll bars and traffic widgets are still in the blurry 10.0 style, the small buttons are still in the 10.2 style, and that annoying little square in the corner of two joining scroll bars is still there. apple takes the time to color the help button purple and re-shade the about box logo but leaves the rest of the interface looking like it was put together from pieces found at a garage sale.

ok, ok, it still looks pretty damn good, i just can't believe there are such glaring oversights.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
I reallly hope it's true, it makes sense for Oct 24th release. I am waiting for Panther to become official "switcher".
On the other hand, Oct 24 may be too optimistic. It would beat commited "end of the year" timeline by more than 2 months (SW industry first :D ).

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
well, I hope so.

I will NOT buy a new Mac only to discover that a bit more than 30 days later (after which point it would be difficult to convince Apple to give me the update for free), a new major revamp of the OS is released to know that I had enough OBVIOUS evidence of its imminent release to have served as a suppression for my eagerness to purchase a new computer.

So c'mon already! A guy's only got so much self-restraint, Apple!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
October 24 is my birthday!! Maybe I can get it as a gift! Holy wak that'd rule.

I want SPEED.

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
I read somewhere that in 7B74 a guy could only connect to Windows servers (lol) in the network pane. Appletalk servers would not show up unless he used their IP in the connect to server menu. That should be fixed now right?

Magicite

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Twin Cities
Originally posted by TylerL
Jaguar hit GM almost a month before it was finally released.
In fact, a revision of G4 towers and eMacs came preloaded with 10.2 two weeks before its release.

From Jaguar GM to storeshelves, it was *slightly* less than 2 weeks, if memory serves.

The G4 towers and eMacs you speak of did not come preloaded with 10.2 and in fact only had the 10.2 full CDs thrown into the boxes. 10.2 was not preinstalled on these machines until their next revision.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
It doesn't matter, I'll wait a month maybe two before buying since I don't want to be one of the early testers. I am just hoping that this release includes an update to the PowerMac G4 and makes it Apple's headless desktop solution.

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Okay - I'm fairly new to this whole Apple way of doing things. I got my 15" PB the day after they were announced. Am I going to have to pay to upgrade?

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by beerguy
Okay - I'm fairly new to this whole Apple way of doing things. I got my 15" PB the day after they were announced. Am I going to have to pay to upgrade?

plan on dishing out another $129

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.