Mac OSX 10.6.4 to Windows 7 Home Premium SMB transfers extremely slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Leaping Tortois, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Leaping Tortois macrumors regular

Hi,

I've a late 2008 unibody macbook pro, a desktop running windows 7 Home premium, and my housemate has a new mac mini, and we have a lot of media across all devices. What I'm trying to do, is allow sharing between the macs and the desktop PC (where most of the media is), as well as general file transfer (when transferring uni files and the like).

I've got them connected and sharing files, but the problem that I have, is that the transfer speed is extremely slow. I'm talking an average rate of 150KB/s (it took nearly 40mins to transfer 350MB of data). The network transfer speeds on these two devices are limited to 54MBps (Wireless-G) due to our AP (I'm working on getting a better one), but that should still allow for really quick transfers, far faster than what I'm getting.

At the moment, they're set up on the same workgroup, and just using the "Network" window in w7 to access the MBP. It's really frustrating that it's going so slow. Can anyone help me get these transfer speeds up to their correct levels? Or recommend a better option? If I haven't explained anything properly, this is the guide I followed:

http://macs.about.com/od/filesharing/ss/file-sharing-with-snow-leopard-win7.htm

Thanks in advance for any help.

Leaping.

2. Queso macrumors G4

When copying between two devices attached to the same Wireless Access Point it is always slow, as WiFi is effectively a half-duplex connection (only one device at a time can broadcast). Connecting one of the endpoints physically to the AP with an Ethernet cable will speed transfer times up dramatically.

3. Leaping Tortois thread starter macrumors regular

Cool,

Well, I've been waiting to get my PC connected by ethernet. I'll tell Cap'n "I'll get back to you tomorrow" to hurry his butt up :D

Thanks