Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I have to buy a Windows notebook for our Bookkeeper to run Simply Accounting, he doesn't want to access windows via VM or Bootcamp so now I'm shopping for a windows notebook with a decent display, not an easy task.

Why do I ask here? Because us Mac owners know what a good display is :D

Last I recall Lenovo displays were horrible, Dells not much better and I haven't read were they've changed much.

Does anyone know of any other laptops that have a screen close to the mac's display?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Sony's higher end machines have terrific displays. Like the Z series. The Dell Studio XPS1640 with the RGBLED 1080p display is amazing I've owned one myself so whatever Dells with that screen, like the Alienware also. I'm hearing good things about the newer HP Radiance displays found in the Envy line.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The past Thnkpads I've owned (at the higher end configurations) had S-IPS 8-bit panels. My late X200 tablet has a MVA panel. I don't if they changed recently.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Sony usually have the best screens. It depends on what model you get ofcourse.

For example, The Sony F series with the Quad core i7, have better screens than the Sony E series. ( the Sony F12 comes with a Full HD Matte screen if you need a Matte/AG screen )

Some screens of Dell which use RGB LED are interesting too ( which is a better LED than MBP uses ).

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I have to buy a Windows notebook for our Bookkeeper to run Simply Accounting, he doesn't want to access windows via VM or Bootcamp so now I'm shopping for a windows notebook with a decent display, not an easy task.

Why do I ask here? Because us Mac owners know what a good display is :D

Last I recall Lenovo displays were horrible, Dells not much better and I haven't read were they've changed much.

Does anyone know of any other laptops that have a screen close to the mac's display?

Might be a bit overkill for him, but of all of the Windows laptops I've used (and I've used a lot of them), Asus machines seem to have quite crisp screens - to the point they look even clearer than the MacBook Pro's screen, and are just as bright. I had an early Asus back in the Vista days that was striking, and the Eee PC's now have some amazing screens with the ION chip.

Some Gateways are also pretty good. The P7805u's WUXGA+ screen had me almost feel bad for my 13" MacBook Pro. Also the Gateway LT20 (which apparently is a rebadged Asus) has a pretty vibrant screen.

That's where I would start though, Asus and Gateway. Any other brand and you'd be paying too much if all he wants is a vibrant, decent machine.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
HP has its dream color displays (IPS) 8740w
Dell RGBLED backlit LCDs XPS 1640
Thinkpad has a wide color gamut display (IPS) T510, W510

Then HP Small Business and Thinkpad have IPS/PVA displays in their tablets
2740p and X200t

ianma

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Manchester
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF85B) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My current laptop is a Dell Studio 15 (While I wait for my 17" BTO Macbook Pro arrives from wherever they build them) which has an excellent 1440 x 900 LED backlit LCD screen. Very sharp and bright but is an upgrade from the standard spec. Seem to be a few on the Dell outlet (in the UK at least, but imagine its similar whereever you are) if you want to save a couple of hundred, just be careful with checking the spec includes it before you buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.