Mac Pro 09, ATI Radeon HD 4870, Video and Sound over Mini DisplayPort, Possible???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by machukirk, Jun 10, 2009.

1. machukirk macrumors newbie

machukirk

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can't transmit audio over HDMI with a mDP->HDMI adapter. You'll need one of these to transmit digital audio.

3. macuser154 macrumors 6502

Geoff is right. Apple hasn't allowed audio to be sent through the MiniDP. It could be allowed in the future with a simple software update I believe.

Edit: I am not sure if you could send it through the Radeon. I think the portables have audio capabilities. But I am not too sure about the Pro.

4. machukirk thread starter macrumors newbie

machukirk

Thank you both for your responses.

The issue is, the AV doesn't automatically select the optical for sound, its overiding it with the HDMI, and there is noway to set it manualy. Neither MDP or DVI take the sound. So this really is a problem.

Can you think of any other ways I may be able to get video and sound, without the AV mucking about?

Thanks in advance again!

5. Cuda macrumors member

How does the 24" Led Display get it's Sound input?

Does it come over USB?

If not..................

6. Maccarat macrumors newbie

7. machukirk thread starter macrumors newbie

machukirk

Thanks for that mate. But tonight I had a tinker around, and came up with a solution, although probably not the best.

The DVI-HDMI cable goes from the MacPro to the TV, the standard output line carries the audio to the input line thats associated with that HDMI on the TV.

The audio is sent back to the AV with an optical from the TV and the video is sent via an HDMI.

This does not allow for gadget switching on the AV nor does it allow true HD sound, but does allow music, games etc to be heard! which is good! I just have to flick HDMI's on TV rather then the AV, it uses the same remote, so isn't too bad really!

Thank you all for your time and effort! :)

Matt