Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
Hi guys!

I have here an cMP, a 1,1 - 2006 (flashed to a 2,1) Mac Pro.

Two days ago I left it powered on and a few hours later when I take back to work it's already off and since that moment can't made it powering on again.
No signal. No error leds, no sound, absolutely nothing.

Already checked the 3V battery (swaped for a new one) but it's all okay with that.

At this point I think the PSU (hope was only this) is gone.
There are any way to test that?
This power supplies are proprietary so I don't have any idea where are the 12V, 5V (and so on...) and can't identify the wires by colour as a regular PSU.

If someone can give me a little help on this I really appreciate.

Any way, I wish an happy new year for everyone :)

Cheers.

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
@Macschrauber

Unfortunately and based on the tests I did the PSU is "dead". I remember that when I shut down (for a few months ago) at the end inside (i think was the PSU) I hear something like a "click" but a little bit loud, maybe was a signal that I ignore.

Now I probably buy a "new" PSU for this 2006 Mac Pro.

My concern is just one, age. Is not, in temporal spectrum, a recent machine and I invested some money into many upgrades (cpu, ram, gpu, ssd's and hdd...). Should I replace the PSU and go on or maybe not a great idea and should get a more recent one? (I just love cMP, this modular computers are absolutely stunning).

What you think? Can give me a little help on my decision?

Thank you!

Cheers.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
If you love the cmp: Buy a complete, working Mac Pro 1.1, take the PSU and what remains as spares. Should not be much more than 100 Euros.

You know its an old dog, but people sometimes love old dogs.

Maybe think about a 3.1 and take some parts with it, so you can go at least to High Sierra or with a gpu upgrade even to Mojave.

Reactions: cs.oyen

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
If you love the cmp: Buy a complete, working Mac Pro 1.1, take the PSU and what remains as spares. Should not be much more than 100 Euros.

You know its an old dog, but people sometimes love old dogs.

Maybe think about a 3.1 and take some parts with it, so you can go at least to High Sierra or with a gpu upgrade even to Mojave.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate!

Well yes your are absolutely right, it's an old dog and I only keep it because I like this old dog. But can't keep it forever. Getting parts for this it's very difficult now, at least for a fair price.

I can see that you are based from Germany, I'm from Portugal. Do you know any European store that sell this stuff (the full machine and/or parts)?

I usually use Ebay to find some stuff but PSU for 1,1 the minimum I got was around 60€ and finding a complete 1,1/2,1 even for 200€ is not very easy.

If you know some online place that sell this stuff for a "good" price, if you can, please send me the store name.

Thank you.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Well, I got some spare MP 1.1 here and they are too many, but shipping int'l is way expensive. If you can't find one locally for a decent price we could get in contact.

Reactions: cs.oyen

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
@Macschrauber

I will try to find something locally as you said. And yes, shipping outside is not cheap at all. If I can't find anything I will send you a PM so we can discuss about that.

Again, thank you.

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
Hello guys! (@Macschrauber)

Finally after one month I got a "new" power supply for my Mac Pro.

I try it and now the computer at least turns on but I got a new problem i guess.

- I replaced the PSU but now when I power on the cMP the GPU fan start running at full speed (5770 flashed to "Apple" FW) and give me no image and can't hear the regular Apple startup sound).

There are any kind of hardware configuration when we replace a PSU on a cMP? I can see the from panel led on is "working" like computer normal behavior.

Or maybe I just connect the PSU wrong and I'm creating a problem without reason?!

Note: I'm running a 2,1 FW on this 1,1 (because CPU compatibility).

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.