Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
WOW!!. Mac Pro, 2.8Ghz 8-core (Base 2008 spec) for... £1468.75 (UK store) *plus* you get Applecare extended to THREE years... as long as you are a Higher Education student, or are buying on behalf of one. That price INCLUDES vat AND shipping!!:

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_78186/

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
£1468.75 = $2,597.19 USD (xe.com)
That's cheaper the the US! ($2799USD) :eek:
Lucky b@#%&*^! :p

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Does make you wonder, doesn't it?...

If Apple are able to drop the price so much for students, how much are they paying for Xeon Chips from Intel? And are they buy Retail units so they come with 3 years warranty anyway... and they sell you their AppleCare!! or are they just standard OEMs?

Is there any way to tell?

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007

If Apple are able to drop the price so much for students, how much are they paying for Xeon Chips from Intel? And are they buy Retail units so they come with 3 years warranty anyway... and they sell you their AppleCare!! or are they just standard OEMs?

Would you mind being a little more in depth with regards to what you are trying to ask? :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Would you mind being a little more in depth with regards to what you are trying to ask? :)

Inside every MacPro are a couple Xeon Processors. Intel sell them as retail packages (3yrs warranty) for home builders and OEM pallets (1yr warranty) for manufactures. Since Apple buys them in bulk, I wonder which type they buy.

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Well they'd be pretty stupid to buy the RETAIL version!. They use a custom *GIGANTIC* heatpiped heatsink in Mac Pro; Apple's own spec. Why on earth would they need to buy peace of mind, when they have MASSIVE contracts with Intel, whom also happen to make custom processors for them.

:D

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Apple would buy them in the OEM packaging. Much cheaper, as they buy by the 1000's. ;)

As unlokia posted, they use their own CPU coolers. :D

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Apple would buy them in the OEM packaging. Much cheaper, as they buy by the 1000's. ;)

As unlokia posted, they use their own CPU coolers. :D

You can call that MILLIONS! :D :D

It'd be cool to find out where the Mac Pro is made, and call them up asking for a "random quality control sample, for Steve" :D

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Well they'd be pretty stupid to buy the RETAIL version!. They use a custom *GIGANTIC* heatpiped heatsink in Mac Pro; Apple's own spec. Why on earth would they need to buy peace of mind, when they have MASSIVE contracts with Intel, whom also happen to make custom processors for them.

:D

The said contract allows Apple to buy their products at greatly reduced costs - we only seee the post boxed version of the retail packages. What if there's a pre-boxed version (minus the heatsink) isn't it possible? you just said inteal makes custom chips for them.. so why isn't this possible?

Anyway, if Apple are buying retail units, then if the chips did fail, they'd be making more of a profit from user purchased APPLECARE. Get my thinking?

I don't care either way...
i have insurance, a failed system = new replacement

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
A pre-boxed CPU minus the H/S, is called "OEM product". Apple ain't purchasing from some asian wholesale outlet, they probably own SHARES in Intel! :D

I'm very sure they have their own unique agreements in place with the big "I", seeing as they purchase hundreds of millions of them. I can just see Steve Jobs, packing up faulty XEONS into their boxes, and ringing up Intel asking for 10,000 RMAs! :D:D:D:D

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
A pre-boxed CPU minus the H/S, is called "OEM product". Apple ain't purchasing from some asian wholesale outlet, they probably own SHARES in Intel! :D

I'm very sure they have their own unique agreements in place with the big "I", seeing as they purchase hundreds of millions of them. I can just see Steve Jobs, packing up faulty XEONS into their boxes, and ringing up Intel asking for 10,000 RMAs! :D:D:D:D

LOL

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
What performance increase may I expect from the 2.8Ghz 8 core?. It it _*_*_*INSANNNE*_*_*_ performance, in relation to what I have previously owned:

Intel iMacs: 2006 and 2008 models

Mac Minis: 2007 model

MacBook: 2006 and 2008 models

I'm sure it is... ohhh tell me folks... does it SCREAAAAAMMM along?? :D:D whet my appetite PLEASE!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwy4R8DfOT4

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
WOW!!. Mac Pro, 2.8Ghz 8-core (Base 2008 spec) for... £1468.75 (UK store) *plus* you get Applecare extended to THREE years... as long as you are a Higher Education student, or are buying on behalf of one. That price INCLUDES vat AND shipping!!:

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_78186/

:confused: just how are we able to connect to the higher ed store without an IP check, my brother is at uni in birmingham and he's promissed me the use of his edu discount since he'd never use it.. i thought i might have had to just give him the cheque and prey he picks the right thing..

almostinsane

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Anyone can order through the Edu store. Just click the button that you are home schooled. Apple doesn't call and check.

unlokia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
:confused: just how are we able to connect to the higher ed store without an IP check, my brother is at uni in birmingham and he's promissed me the use of his edu discount since he'd never use it.. i thought i might have had to just give him the cheque and prey he picks the right thing..

The answer is... you CALL them: 0800 039 1010. All they ask for is a Uni email address ending with .ac.uk, and they'll need his NUS card details. That's IT. Oh and I think he has to reply to Apple with his .ac.uk email address, to confirm the order. Saving £280+ AND getting THREE years Applecare!.

PS: If he can't order something as simple as "Buy me a Mac Pro" then something is wrong! :)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

Intel and Apple will have a special agreement to cover defective processors. Apple will be paying a lot less than the 1,000 unit price of $797. In fact I expect they are paying less than anyone else due to the volume in which they are dealing with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.