Mac Pro 2013 – anyone without GPU problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kris Kelvin, Jan 20, 2018.

?

Does your Mac Pro (2013) have GPU problems?

1. Yes (D300)

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Yes (D500)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes (D700)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. No problems (D300)

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. No problems (D500)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. No problems (D700)

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. Kris Kelvin macrumors regular

Does anyone actually have a Mac Pro (2013) that's older than 6 months and doesn't exhibit any GPU problems (e.g. freezes)? I've read a lot about replaced GPUs, flex cables, baseboards and other stuff, but lots of people report that problems are back after a few days/weeks and it's impossible to track all responses.

If you have a fully working Mac Pro (2013) that hasn't crashed/frozen in months, what GPU do you have, what OS are you running, what peripherals are connected and do you happen to live in the arctic circle? :)

2. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Mine has none of those problems and I live in S. AZ. :) See my list below for details. I am running a Dell U2415 monitor, logitech wireless mouse,  wired keyboard, Porsche Design external HD time machine. B&W MM-1 desktop speakers.

3. Kris Kelvin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. You're lucky. :)
    Running macOS High Sierra?

4. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Sorry, yes HS 10.13.2

5. pl1984 macrumors 6502a

No problems to report but I barely use it. I think I've powered it up all of half a dozen times since I purchased it a number of months ago.

6. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

I got mine in early 2014 w/ D300 (still on Sierra). Been pushing two 4K displays for the last couple years. It's on 24x7, get's medium usage, a little FCPX, a little audio production, a little Handbrake. Zero issues with it. I'll also add a close friend (who doesn't frequent this site) also has the exact same setup as mine in the same time-frame has had zero issues... he's even a light gamer.

Kris, I get that when there are problems with your computer, it really sucks. I'd be really ticked if my GPU died or started exhibiting problems to, and looking for correlations to some wider issue. But this forum is NOT representative of whether ANY of the current 6,1 GPUs exhibit abnormal amount of defects. No one on this forum has any solid knowledge on this. It's just kind of crummy when people start posting in threads for other people to avoid a perfectly a good computer.

7. jclmavg macrumors regular

jclmavg

Got mine early 2014, D300, works fine running high sierra. Pretty much have it running 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

8. Kris Kelvin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedbacks!

That's exactly why I started this thread. So much negative stuff has been written about the MacPro6,1 that I was starting to wonder. It's nice to hear that for a lot of people, it's working just fine. Now it's just a matter of finding the problem. :)

9. Chuck Rodent macrumors regular

Chuck Rodent

Got my refurb 6 Core D700 in late 2014. Never a problem and use it every day for work and personal, 3 to 4 hours per day.

10. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Neither of the ones in my sig have given any issue. I run them hard - hash cat for days or weeks at a time, gaming. Houston, TX (it's hot).

11. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Same here but purchased in June 2015. Occasional screen flicker, but no freezes or the issues I have read about.

12. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502

tomscott1988

It is a good computer. If it were half the price.

Its old and was old when it was introduced. If your happy with it fair enough but its price per £ is poor. IMO

13. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I sent mine out for repair last week (D700), was showing artifacts and lines on video encodes and video playback occasionally under load. The problem seemed to get worse slowly over the last 4 years.

Apple got it back to me in record time, literally 2 days. Even surprised the store staff. Replaced GPU B, flex cable and IO board.

Problem is, the issues were even worse. Red artifacts and glitches over GUI items, video playback even worse.

I had to stand in the Apple store for over an hour and a half while a Genius attempted to re-create the issues (unsuccessfully), and heat up the machine, despite having presented video recorded proof of the issues on my phone. The employee concluded that he couldn't recreate my environment (3 monitors and a 4k preview monitor for clients) in the apple store because he only had one screen. Off it went again....I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the next repair :(

14. m25h75 macrumors newbie

m25h75

I got mine in December 2017 (6-core / D700) and it's performing flawlessly. I highly prefer it to fully loaded 2017 5K iMac I have at the office. Using it mostly for photography and videography.

15. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I have a fleet of about 20 nMP's purchased in early 2016, all 6-cores with D500. No GPU problems as of yet — knock on wood.

16. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Don’t knock on wood where there is a homepod...