Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone taking the risk and using macOS High Serria on a Mac Pro 2013 doing video production with the new supposably better overall production functionality (SSD, video coding, updated file system, dual graphic card hopefully processing improvements)?

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Where did you see that? I would think it unusual to optimize for a product that is still Beta. There was talk of a FCPX update "later this year."

Haven't seen that anywhere, but it will eventually need to be since introducing new video coding.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It's just the early beta, far too early to look for optimisation, improvement, etc.

The small update beta (e.g. 10.12.6 beta) may bring you some improvement. But this kind of pre OS release beta (10.x.0 beta) rarely work better than the current official OS release.

And I don't think Apple will release the FCPX that optimised for HS until HS officially released. From memory, the update always come after the OS release, but not before.

loby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I am a little weary about the switch to the new file system and how long it will take until a reasonable working version of High Sierra is presented that does not interrupt workflow (or at least often).

Anytime anything "New" that changes the way something else "just worked" etc., it seems to take a few OS versions to get it stable. I know that it is the right direction to optimize for the newer technology (and welcome it..), but the way apple has been going lately...I am a little weary..

I am definitely looking forward to an optimize file system for SSD's as well as better video compression and possible graphics "Metal" enhancements...but have a gut feeling that it might take until High Sierra official version .4 to smooth out the kinks or a few years, like from Snow Leopard to Lion...to Mountain Lion to finally Mavericks. Took three attempts to finally land...

Hope I am wrong..

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
but have a gut feeling that it might take until High Sierra official version .4 to smooth out the kinks or a few years

Switched from El Capitan to Sierra when apple released .4

I will go to high sierra maybe when apple release .4 too :)

Reactions: loby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.