Mac Pro 3.33Ghz 6 Core SSD - 120GB OWC SSD or 120GB Intel 510 SSD for a boot drive ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blackgmc, Mar 18, 2011.

1. blackgmc macrumors member

I am looking to buy a SSD Drive for my Mac Pro 3.33Ghz 6 core

Which one would you buy and why ?

Intel 510 120GB or OWC PRO SSD 120GB

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

If I am not mistaken, for you to take full advantage of the speed of the intel, you will need SATA-III which the 6 x 3.33 does not have and I have not heard of people having very good luck with an SSD as an external boot either using the PCI slot to be able to fully realize SATA-III speeds.

I have the OWC in my 6 x 3.33 and cold boots are between 15-17 seconds, pretty darn fast. I also put it in my second optical bay slot so I can have all 4 regular bays open for storage.

The OWC also touts "Block Management & Wear Leveling". Perhaps with OSX Lion we will get to take advantage of Trim support which both drives would be able to do.

Someone feel free to come in and correct me if I am wrong..:)

3. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

I've thought about it a lot and no way in heck I'd buy either. A boot volume of that size might work if I resort to all kinds of time-consuming heroics and sacrifices. I don't roll that way. That's moving backwards, in my opinion. My apps need a house as Kramer would say.

I wait until the grapes on the vine are ready. When 320 GIG SSD Drives are at the performance of Vertex 3 and near $300 then I buy. Otherwise...the game is simply not worth my time. I can wait.