Mac Pro 4,1 7800 GTX or GTX260 won't work after upgrade from Pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bl117, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bl117 macrumors newbie

Originally had a Mac Pro 2006 with a nvidia 7300. I added a 7800 gtx which worked fine with no updates or drivers needed. (it wasn't a mac version) Now that i've upgraded to a new Mac Pro 4,1 it has a GT120 from nvidia. I need to either get the GeForce 7800 or the GTX260 working. I've been researching and reading for almost 2 weeks now. I've tried everything I've seen and have had to reload this poor mac twice now. If all the drivers are built in, why does it only see the card as "Display" in the system profiler?

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Why do you need to use the 7800gtx? If you require performance than you could always get a 4870 or a gtx 285

3. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Try Nvdarwin.kext. Search google, version 1.2.5

4. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give this a shot. I'm running out of ideas. It's not that I need graphics performance, it's that I need the additional monitors. Those cards are expensive and for someone like me who spent a lot on replacing a failing mac pro 2006 I'd rather not spend the extra money.

5. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am unable to find nvdarwin.kext but came across nvenabler.kext but it didn't work. system profiler still shows no kext loaded for the 7800gtx.

6. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally found NVDarwin.kext. no idea what version it is, but it's working. Now if only I could get it to use both DVI Ports. lol I may just have to go buy the mini display port to dvi adapter.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Glad you got it working – the reason nvenabler didn't is because it's for hackintoshes.

8. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to get the second DVI port working on the 7800? Will save me from having to buy the mini DP to DVI adapter. Thanks for all your help so far. I remember back when there was vga, dvi, and hdmi. Now we have a bunch more when HDMI worked just fine. I don't understand why we need to have so many different types of connectors for video.

Just picked up the display port to dvi adapter, second monitor on the GT120 isn't working. Is this due to some limitation with the nvdarwin.kext? i'm finding a lot of people with this problem but no one posting what they have done to resolve the issue. Any ideas?

9. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried swapping the display port to dvi adapter for a new one. didn't fix the problem, tried a dual link dvi cable just to see if there was a pin or something needed that wasn't there but no dice. It see's that the display is connected but can't display anything on it. I can drop the resolution down the 1280x1024 and i get a grainy display with colors that don't line up. When i set it back to 1600x900 it goes blank again. I'm on with Apple support again to see if this new info can help. Granted if I could just get the second DVI port working on the 7800GT card this wouldn't matter. Will post back in a minute.

10. MacVidCards Suspended

try removing the NVDarwin kxt and the 7800.

If both ports start working on GT120 you have found problem

11. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just returned from the Apple store in my area. After talking to level 2 support they ran me through all the same troubleshooting ideas I have had. They said it sounded like the GT 120 was bad and wanted me to take it in for an exchange. After putting the new GT120 into the system and booting it, it now won't detect a display on the MDP (Mini Display Port) unlike before. I'm starting to wonder if either the MDP to DVI adapter is bad (which was already replaced once) or there is some glitch which won't allow either video adapter to use it's second display connector. To test this theory I'm going to drop in a 7300 GT from a previous Mac Pro and see if I can then get 3 monitor working. While it's in there i'll also try to get one of the cards to support 2 monitors. This is sad because I ran 4 monitors on my Mac Pro 2006. Also, I won't even go to far into the lies the apple tier 2 tech told me about the new mac pro's having a special version of Mac OSX that is different from all the others and that is why it doesn't support more than the 3 video cards sold by Apple. :( This is the first time I've ever had a negative experience with Apple's support.

12. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just another update, replaced the MDP to DVI adapter, no change. After doing some research on apples forums it would appear that there is an issue with 10.6.3+ and dual monitors on the GT120 as well as the ATI 48xx. The ball is now in Apples court as I've been calling them several times daily for updates. In the mean time, if you use dual displays hold off updating to 10.6.3+ until Apple gets this resolved.

Here is a link to the apple thread: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11467807

13. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Working with Apple support on this issue. It is being upgraded to an engineering issue. See the link above for updates and possible resolution.

14. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem still exists unfortionately.

15. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still waiting on a response from Apple. It's been over a week since they escalated this issue to engineering. I was promised a call back this last tuesday and it's now Friday and I haven't heard anything. I'll call them on tuesday 7-5-10 to see what the status is.

16. bl117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Apple engineering had me remove the 7800 gtx and then install a fresh copy of 10.6 on a new partition. After doing this with no updates the GT120 still detects a display connected to the Mini Display port but still will not allow it to be set as a monitor. Upon reinstalling the 7800 gtx it is just seen as a VGA adapter and is not usable as a display adapter. Out of curiousity I installed my Mac 7300 card to see what would happen. It detects it as a VGA adapter, same as the 7800 gtx. What I'm failing to understand (and apples engineers are not explaining to me) is why would OSX not detect a graphics adapter that works in my 2006 mac pro? When I asked if there were different versions of OSX which wouldn't make any sense I was told simply "Yes". Will update more after tomorrows continuation on this fiasco. What is sad is that I bought the mac version of the GTX 285 in an attempt to get 3 displays working. No matter what I try, each card used still will only function with a single display instead of 2.