Mac Pro 5,1 slow performance after 10.14.6 18G87 Supplemental Update

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Nelly68, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Nelly68 macrumors newbie

Nelly68

I have a Mid 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 with 2x3.33 Ghz 6-core and a supported graphics card GeForce GTX 780. Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0. I have been using Mojave with no issues until I installed the supplemental 10.14.6 Build 18G87. After applying the update the Mac responded extremely slow (beach ball) and the finder kept freezing (Not responding). Lucky for me I have a clone of the whole system on a secondary HD which I recloned back to build 18G84. I tried several times to apply the update with different approaches like downloading the full install or just the regular update. Results were the same every time. So for now I left my Mac with the previously build (18G84) Any suggestions? is anybody else experiencing issues? could it be a hardware or software that's causing the trouble?

2. Tapper macrumors newbie

Tapper

Nelly68, installation via software update fails on my 2009 Mac Pro 4,1. That scared me so I'm not going to bother with the update.

3. Nelly68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nelly68

I’m gonna be out of town this week. When I get back I’m gonna try to install the full install version 18G87 on a blank hard drive as a new installation. If all works fine then we’ll know the issue could be related to incompatible software. If that doesn’t work I’ll remove third party hardware. I’ll let you know the results. Thank you

4. chrfr macrumors 604

I've got no issues with a 12x2.66 5,1 on 18G87. I'm running with various SSDs and some spinning disks, but have a Radeon RX560 instead of an Nvidia card.

5. Nelly68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nelly68

You just gave me a new idea. That’s something else to try. Radeon RX560. I guess I’ll try to find it on ebay. Thanks for the info

6. Nelly68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nelly68

I'm back from vacation. I had time to troubleshoot the issue with the 10.4.6 (18G87). Once more I installed the 18G87 supplemental update to encounter the same results I discussed earlier. I was able to finally solved the issue by applying a combination of commands. first I booted my Mac on safe mode and it was still responding very slow. Safari wouldn't even lunch. I run "CleanMyMacX" (While in safe mode) - Free Up RAM, Maintenance Scripts, Flush DNS Cache, Rebuild Launch Services, and turn off all safari Extensions. Not sure exactly which of the commands did the trick but I rebooted and my Mac was responding as fast as it has always been. The sleep/wake seem to be working good.